1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Joyo vs OCD?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikkejohansson, Feb 25, 2014.

1. mikkejohansson

mikkejohansson

Those of you who own both, which do you prefer for bass?

I have an OCD on the board and like it a lot, just got an Ultimate Drive as a backup. Haven't even tried it yet, but wanted your opinions!

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I own both, and they're pretty similar sounding, but the Joyo has a bit more low end.

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

I am a rather big Fulltone OCD fan. I have both of these pedals and they do indeed sound very similar. As John stated, the low end is retained a bit better with the Joyo. But the OCD still has this certain character to it that the Joyo cannot replicate exactly. Again, it does a damn fine job trying. I honestly couldnt say that I could tell them apart in a blind test, I would like to think I could, but they are pretty similar. Joyo did a great job at cloning the OCD if that is the exact clone they were going for. I still love my OCD :)

4. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, the OCD has a bit more complex midrange (which is very nice) than the Joyo .

of course there are a lot of versions of the OCD (V1-V4) so it depends on which one you have.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Which would be the ideal OCD version for most bassists? Is there a version more favored than the rest?

7. gregmon79

I hear v3 is the better one for bassists. I have v4 and I love it just the same. It's sort of hard to find a v3 I believe. But they're out there.

8. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I haven't tried the Joyo yet, but I prefer the Fuzzrocious Demon (which is based upon the OCD) to the OCD itself for bass.

9. gregmon79

I liked the demon too. But for me, it still didn't cut through like the OCD did. Maybe it's because the demon is tuned better for bass and adds that low end back in. Or I just failed up EQ right at the time. Never had that issue with the OCD though.

10. mikkejohansson

mikkejohansson

I have a V4 OCD but haven't felt any lack of lowend. Might have to try the Joyo on the board then!

11. gregmon79

Really?!? Are you blending in any way? I can't say that the OCD robbed me completely of my bottom end, but it wasn't doing it any favors either.

12. mikkejohansson

mikkejohansson

No blending. Wouldn't say my sound is super bassheavy to start with though...

13. mikkejohansson

mikkejohansson

And of course with this thread in mind...my OCD has started to mess with me, last night it was almost like it would have had a bad battery, except it was on the same power supply as always... Started overdriving earlier and didn't give as much volume. Had to boost the level to male it through the night using it, and even with the gain in zero(-ish) it gave a little too much dirt. I like it to just add "hair" to the tone.

Oh well.

I'll see if I can fix it, or it opens things up to check out the Joyo further or try other low-gain od's :)

The search is always on...

14. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    from what I've heard, the V1 is probably the best one.

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Fuzzrocious Demon absolutely kills both of them.

16. gregmon79

While I liked the demon, I found it paled in comparison to the fulltone. The bottom end was most def better with the demon, but it still didn't capture the tone completely. Or I would've kept it. That's just my opinion of course.

17. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I think the Fulltone OCD is the only pedal I've ever received and then sold in the same day. I couldn't get rid of it quick enough :)

18. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Is there much low end loss with the OCD and is it capable of just mild breakup?

19. mikkejohansson

mikkejohansson

I don't feel much or any low end loss in my setup.

20. karla684

karla684

This won't help the OP since he already owns an OCD (greetings from Sweden by the way), but it seems like there may be others intersted in this...

Soundclips from the Fulltone OCD, ver 4:
    Clean bass:
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/kallelindbom/00-clean-bass-distortion-test?in=kallelindbom/sets/effect-samples[/SOUNDCLOUD]

LP Mode, Drive:
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/kallelindbom/01-fulltone-ocd-lp-drive?in=kallelindbom/sets/effect-samples[/SOUNDCLOUD]

LP Mode, Tone:
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/kallelindbom/02-fulltone-ocd-lp-tone?in=kallelindbom/sets/effect-samples[/SOUNDCLOUD]

HP Mode, Drive:
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/kallelindbom/03-fulltone-ocd-hp-drive?in=kallelindbom/sets/effect-samples[/SOUNDCLOUD]

HP Mode, Tone:
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/kallelindbom/04-fulltone-ocd-hp-tone?in=kallelindbom/sets/effect-samples[/SOUNDCLOUD]

I haven't tried the Joyo, but the OCD has served me well.

:bassist:
    Cheers,
    Kalle