Juan Alderete from The Mars Volta

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mikey_B, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Mikey_B

Mikey_B

Hey guys this is my first topic and I just wanted to ask you what you think of Juan Alderete. You may know him from his youtube channel "PedalsAndEffects" or from the band "The Mars Volta" he plays a fretless jazz most of the time and i find his riffs to be really cool and he really takes advantage of the tone of his fretless in most of their songs. Check out his riff in the beginning of " Day Of The Baphomets" if you have never heard of him. Really cool stuff.
  2. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

I've been a fan for ever! Starting with Racer X!!
    nataku333 and carsbybigd like this.
  3. bassthumpersf

bassthumpersf

Known him since he was John & lived in northern CA.
    Nice interview with him on
    Dean Del Ray's let there be talk podcast.
  4. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

I always thought he mostly used a fretless P, not a J...either way, that fretless tone on Francis the Mute is one of my favorite fretless tones. Up there with Johan DeFarfalla.

Plus his pedalboard is pretty cool.
  5. Mikey_B

Mikey_B

Your right actually haha his fretless is a Precision I was getting mixed up with his black/tort jazz he plays with live sometimes
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Juan's quality people. I enjoy his website, his stuff with Mars Volta (best thing about them if you ask me), and while I don't quite get his one side project with that gal, most of his stuff cooks.
  7. El Seaweed

El Seaweed

Been a TMV fan since I listened to my cousin's copy of Deloused in the Comatorium in 2003 when I was in like, 7th grade. Juan's always had a huge influence on my playing, and you can still hear it in my over use of pedals, and in my unrelenting desire to make everything a Latin groove ;P

I actually had the opportunity to shoot the sh*t with him in 2011, after an ORL Group show in Cleveland, OH. Super cool guy and ultra humble. Nice enough to bulls**t with me and talk bass stuff while I smoked a cigarette and fanboy'd.
  8. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I'm not a big fan of much new music *cough*; by that I mean Post-1980, but there a few gems. Juan Alderete is one of those musicians that reminds me to listen to more recent stuff. And yes; his intro to Day of the Baphomets is killer, and the "horns" (are they really horns or synth patches?) when they come in really make that intro come to life.
  9. skwee

skwee

Yes! Love that Second Heat album!
  10. El Seaweed

El Seaweed

They are indeed real. It's actually just a heavily layered baritone sax. Saw it played live back in '09. One of the best live shows on the planet. Shame they split, it really is.
  11. carsbybigd

carsbybigd Supporting Member

Band I was in played a gig with him when he was in "The Scream"[good cd if you can find it]His Racer X stuff rocked the house.
  12. rhythmwiz

rhythmwiz

Juan is a killer player. His stuff with Big Sir is great, and apparently he played in Pet (the Crow soundtrack anyone, although I think that was JMJ on that recording) which is where he met Lisa (the other half of Big Sir). Dig his stuff, clever and innovative.

FWIW Flea played on Deloused I believe and recommended Juan for TMV after that recording although I could be wrong about that (foggy remembering a interview in bassplayer back in the day).
    nataku333 likes this.