1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Jumping in the world of multi effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by baxter_x, Nov 27, 2013.

1. baxter_x

baxter_x

Hello Everyone,

Let me start with my first post on the website.
    I'm currently looking a bass multi-effect to start in the world of effect. I've always considered I would never nedd any effect and would only use my sound chain (Fender precision Deluxe V -> Ampeg SVT4 Pro -> two SWR Goliath III).
    But I'm starting feel I should add some spice to my sound. Especially with effects like drive/disto, flanger, chorus and compresor.
    I want to start with a multi effect as this will give me an idea of what I really want and need, then I will switch to single pedals.

However the is only one condition that will make my choice for a multi effect!
    I absolutly want it to be a real true bypass. If I bypass it I WANT to hear the sound I'm used to hearing as if the multi effect had never existed.

I was aiming for both the Line 6 Bass POD XT or the BOSS GT6B. But both of these devices don't seem to have true bypass capabilities.

So I'm waiting for you advices :D

Rock on
  2. Phagor

Phagor

The Line 6 M5/M9/M13 are true bypass and are more recent than the Pod. The GT-6B is true bypass.

The Zoom B3 (or smaller MS-60B) seem to be current favourites for bass multis - with sounds more tailored to bass than the Line 6 M*.

However they're not true bypass. I've just got the MS-60B and it's extremely quiet and clean - way quieter than any of my analogue pedals.
  3. baxter_x

baxter_x

Have you tried the GT-6B? I mean, have you personnaly tested its true bypass capabilities?
    The Zoom B3 seems to be quiet interesting! But it looks quiet fragile for stage use. Am wrong on that?
  4. K.Boxingham

K.Boxingham

Just go straight for individual pedals!! You won't look back!
  5. baxter_x

baxter_x

I know that!! ;)
    But I want to start with multi effect first to find what I want. And because it's cheaper. Once I'll really know what I want, I'll go with single pedals.
  6. Phagor

Phagor

I haven't tried the GT-6B, just going on what I remember, that the 6 is the last Boss with true bypass.

My MS-60B is really solidly built, as good as any of my other pedals. Only time will tell if there are problems with the footswitch, knobs etc.

I think you've got the right idea - the B3 would be a really good introduction to which pedals you want to buy in the future. And you will probably keep it anyway. I use the MS-60B to add some extra effects and preset chains to my existing pedal board. It wouldn't replace my other pedals but extends them nicely.
  7. baxter_x

baxter_x

Both the Zoom pedals you mentioned seem quite good. The thing is I would also like to use these effects on stage as I tour pretty much. And I'm afraid both of these units might not be easy enough to use on stage nor won't be robust enough. That's where the GT6B seems to clearly take a big advantage.
    But I might be wrong.
  8. Swift713

Swift713

I think the B3 is sturdy enough for stage use.
  9. baxter_x

baxter_x

As the T6-B seems to be true bypass (confirmed by Victor Wooten) I think I'll start with it.
  10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Zoom B3

True bypass is overrated. Don't let that be the absolute deciding factor when looking for a pedal. If a pedal has a good buffer you'll be fine.
  11. baxter_x

baxter_x

Thing is, I like cristal clear sound, that's the reason why I use SWR cabs. So I don't want to feel any loss of any kind.

And what about Line 6 Pod XT? Do you that would do the trick too?
  12. Phagor

Phagor

I haven't owned a multi since the Boss ME6B, but I have tried them regularly.

Now I have the MS-60B, my feeling is that it and the B3 are a big step up from previous multis, and other people here seem to think the same. Wooten is endorsing the B3 now.

In my opinion, the improvement in sound quality in the new Zooms is worth more to me than the true bypass on the older multis. It might be different for you of course.

I like a clean signal path too. I use a Sadowsky bass into Epifani amp and cabs. I have reasonable ears, and to me this thing is super quiet and doesn't suck tone at all. Most of the effects have a blend parameter that lets you mix them with your dry bass tone, which is important for me.

At the end of the day, a B3 is cheap enough to take a punt on, and can be sold on fairly easily if you don't like it.

I'd recommend the Zoom B3 for you, if you want to get experience with different pedal types - the interface is easier to use than the MS-60B. The MS-60B has an extra effect slot though.
  13. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

+1 for the B3. I don't use it for gigs but it's a very sweet box.
  14. Phagor

Phagor

Of course, if you want true bypass, you could just put the Zoom into a true bypass looper pedal so you can switch it in/out cleanly. This would be very useful later when you start buying analogue pedals - they're much noisier than the Zoom!

Here's a few:

MXR 197
    http://www.jimdunlop.com/blog/mxr-effects-loop-pedals/

Keeley True Bypass Looper
    https://robertkeeley.com/products/keeley-pedals/true-bypass-looper/

JHS Mini True Bypass Looper / AB Box
    http://www.rogueguitarshop.com/JHS-Mini-True-Bypass-Looper-AB-Box-p/rgs-jhs-mtbl.htm
  15. baxter_x

baxter_x

Ok, I'm then going to reconsider my choice though if the zoom is worth it. Would you say the GT6-B is now a bit outdated?

Phagor, I've always heard disto/overdrive don't work well in effect loop...
    'Cause I've thought about that "solution" many times but was told it would'nt work great. Definatly, if it does work I can afford myself any peice of gear as I'm 100% sure I'll be able to have my sound anytime.
    I've tried once to add a boss MT-2 in my effec tloop just to try. I've noticed a little difference that I've managed to compensate with the level on the pedal. Still, it sounded a bit better in front of the amp.
    But as I mentioned, it was a Boss MT2 ;)
  16. iamdenialNJ

iamdenialNJ Supporting Member

17. rtav

rtav

I use an ME-50B which has a true bypass (basically put it in tuner mode). Works for me.
  18. Phagor

Phagor

I quite liked the GT6-B but not enough to buy it. From my short time playing in shops, I felt the Line 6 M13 was better, and the Zoom B3 is better than the M13. Of course the GT6-B has got some other functions like a volume/expression pedal, MIDI etc.

Also, I think the B3 will be better for you as it models specific effect pedals that you might later replace with the real thing or equivalents. In many cases, the B3 is more tweakable than the pedal it's simulating.

I don't think many effect pedals will work well in your amp's effect loop. They are expecting a instrument level signal, the amp is giving a line level signal. The exception might be 'clean' effects like delays, chorus or studio rack-type gear like compressors, graphic eqs etc. I've no idea why they call it an effect loop, it's pretty misleading. I put everything before the amp.

I like the Boss MT-2 in small doses. The Zoom has a model of it - you will be able to compare them! The Zoom lets you blend it with your dry bass which makes it more usable for me.
  19. Feral Feline

Feral Feline

I think that a single MFX would benefit more from having true bypass. Buffered is good for when you're running loads of individual pedals that drag down the impedence and need to boost the signal back up a bit...

My 2-cents. I'm by no means a pedal guru.
  20. wshines1892

wshines1892

The zoom B3 is by far some of the best effects money I've ever spent. The amp models sounds great, super intuitive interface so you don't have to memorize a manual just to figure out how to use the thing, DI Out with pre and post selection plus you can independently blend cab emulation, the effect itself, and even the patch with your dry tone for endless tweak ability of tone. The effects sound good, you can split hairs all you want about comparing it to the real deal but in a mix and for the money I defy you to find better.

The only things I wish it could do in a perfect world is 6 effects at once so I could set up an amp model, comp, and maybe noise gate, and then have 3 effects on the front page that I actually want to turn on an off, being able to assign the cab emulation for just the DI and have a raw pre tone coming out to my amp, and then I'd just die if there was a mic in with an independent level control so that it could receive a monitor mix from a snake and I could run in ear monitors off of it. I would be tickled pink if that happened. I would be willing to spend at least 100 bucks more on the box if they updated it to include those features.

As it is though, great tool for the money.