Jumpy YT videos on Mac?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Apr 12, 2014.

1. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Flash player popped up saying it needed an update, so I updated it and now any video I play on the laptop is really jumpy/jittery. It's just the video, the audio is fine.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but I get the same problem.

When uninstalled, some videos will still play (not sure why, and most pop up saying I need flash player), but the ones that do play - play fine.

2.5 GHz i5 MacBook Pro (retina 13) running OSX 10.9.2. Safari is up to date too.

Any tips?

2. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

I've got pretty much the same computer (13" Retina, i5).

I force all of my videos onto HTML5. There's a setting in Youtube and I run an extension on Safari called 'Click to Flash'. The advantage is that there are now no adverts on YouTube for me. I've been running this way for years with no issues.

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I've installed the extension and set YT to force to HTML5, but a lot of videos are still asking for Flash to be installed, do you have that issue?

Just kinda irked that it worked before the update!

4. GrumpiusMaximus

I don't, no. Let me just check my settings...

EDIT:

Some videos will force to Flash. Flash-only is an option for YouTube uploads but it's rare that I come across them.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

i have an imac,and i notice i,and some audio too....i cant upgrade anyhing....every time it just says that safari shut down,but i've always used fire fox....

7. vin*tone

vin*tone

Happens on my Mac at work. Damn I hoped a system and Safari upgrade would fix.

I now use Chrome at work for YT and listening to Mixdown/Spotify etc.

It has nothing to do with the ClickToFlash plugin BTW. I have it installed on both my Macs and have this issue with only one of them.

8. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

The ClickToFlash was more as an attempted fix on Grumpius's recommendation.

Should have gotten a Windows system . . . :bag:

9. GrumpiusMaximus

It was a recommendation for getting around using Flash. I suspect Flash is the issue - it's notoriously buggy.

Chrome has its own Flash built-in to the browser, so it automatically updates when the browser is updated (often). I would give it a go and see how it goes.

10. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Aye, was just meaning it wasn't a cause of the issues :)

I've put Firefox on and videos seem to be streaming fine now (went with Firefox over Chrome, simply because it's what I use on other platforms).

Most odd that flash would just become buggy with Safari!

11. GrumpiusMaximus

I've had some bugs with Safari recently too. Not the same as yours' but I sorted them out eventually. I prefer it as a browser but maybe I'll switch to something else if I get any more bugs.

12. vin*tone

vin*tone

Is Adobe up to Flash 13.0.2 now?

13. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

13.0.0.182 is apparently the most up to date.

14. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

my old pc was far more user friendly than this thing,and less than a third of the price...the next one will be a pc....

15. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I've found the experience much similar! Granted much of it will be because I'm used to the Windows platform. On saying that, I've also had some hardware issues with this, pretty much from day one!

Thankfully I didn't pay for it though, work did!

16. GrumpiusMaximus

I've owned Macs since 2006. After I got my first one, both of my parents got one and now they're all onto their second or third since then. In total, that's 8 machines (not including iOS devices).

We've had issues with two of them. The first one was a faulty screen panel on one of the original 2006 iMacs. It was well past warranty but Apple knew there was a fault with that particular batch of screens and repaired it - this must have been around 2010/11. Free of charge. That Mac still runs like new.

The second was a faulty logic board on a Macbook Air. It was in warranty. It was taken in with no questions and repaired/replaced within 24 hours with all of the data intact.

I've also had to use Apple's repair facilities a couple of times for replacing batteries and the like (otherwise I do my own work) and they've been great. I have no complaints about their customer service.

If you're used to Windows machines, it is a bit of a shift. I'm not going to sit here and preach about how much I like my Macs but in my experience, Apple are very good at supporting their products.

17. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

They didn't seem keen on trying to sort the dodgy (still dodgy) wireless card in mine.

Well, I'm assuming that's what's wrong, it just seems to drop connection at random. Thankfully that's more of an annoyance than a major failure!

18. GrumpiusMaximus

More likely a software bug. There have been issues with WiFi dropouts when the OS updates that have been reported. I've never had them but others have.

19. vin*tone

vin*tone

Update to Maverics/Safari 7 fixed the issue on mine BTW.