Just 1 brand, or more brands?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Who of you TB-ers only 1 have brand for your bass guitars and who of you have more than 1 brand?

For those who use only 1 brand : how many basses did you had to try before you got the gear you have right now?

2. Doctor J

Doctor J

More than one. As many as I can afford :D

Variety is the spice of life.

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

What do you own at the moment?

4. dls119

dls119

For now, I only use Fender and Squier basses, however I've owned others in the past, and would be happy to own others should a practical application for them arise. :D

I have three currently and use them all:
    Squier VM Jazz
    Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V (great bass, but not my favorite)
    Fender Std. Precision

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    More than one brand: MIA Fender, Spector and Alembic.

7. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I presently stick with EBMMs. Love what they do, how they play and the price is just right.
    What have I tried in the past? Just about everything under $2k new/used, as that's my self-imposed limit on how much I can justify on any bass. I've had some serious high end stuff down to SXes and Squires. EBMMs are for me though!

8. Deathblade Eric

Deathblade Eric

One brand.

Back in 1982, I tried a vintage P and a Gibson Grabber at a rehearsal space before deciding that bass was my kinda instrument & of the two, much preferred the P.

When I hit the shop, I was disappointed by the neck profile on the then current production Precisions & found that they were totally out of my price range. Shop assistant asked what I *could* afford & pulled an Aria TSB-400 off the rack.

Love at first feel :D

Still got the TSB, but these days my two main squeezes are a 1980 SB-900 & a heavily modded fretless SB-1000.

9. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

Currently only the one bass, and it's a Fender which serves the current purpose I have for it.

But should the need arise for a different bass by a different manufacturer and I can find one that I like, then that's that.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Fodera, Fender and Squier for me. Don't see that changing any time soon.

11. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    3 Music Man basses
    2 Alembic basses
    1 Marchlewski bass

There are a number of other bass brands that I like and could see myself owning, but I don't need any more. As long as I have at least 1 Alembic in my portfolio it's all good. Everything else is just pleasant distraction. In my opinion, there are a lot of brands that deliver great tone, great workmanship, great looks. Alembic is at or near the top of the heap in all those categories.

12. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I keep thinking 100% Alembic and then remembering how nice an American Standard neck feels in your hand.

13. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I have a Yamaha and 3 Carvins. The Yamaha is at my parent house because it as sentimental value so I don't use it anymore.

Since then I bought 4 Carvin and sold one. That brand pretty much cover what I'm looking for.

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

2 Fenders, Standard P and Jaco sig jazz
    1 Dingwall ABZ
    1 Carvin LB 76
    1 EBMM StingRay

I am a Fender guy for sure but that doesn't mean I am only a Fender guy.

15. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Currently I have a single-coil P, two split-coil Ps, a StingRay 5 and a Godin A5 fretless.

I have owned a Carvin LB20 and a G&L Tribute L2000 as well as a Fender Standard fretless J.

I'll likely sell the Godin, but the others are pretty much in constant rotation.

16. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

Three Fenders, two Kalas, and three Carvins. I need one more Kala to keep everything inbalance, lol.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Back in the day... I had several Fenders... two Jazz, two Precision, a Jaguar, a EBMM Stingray (I'd consider it a cousin)... and always had one or two others but I've always gravitated towards Fenders.

18. Wookieonbass

Wookieonbass

Currently 1 Warwick, 1 Guild, 1 Dean, 1 Jay Turser, 1 Squier, and 3 Fenders

19. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

I currently only have Fenders, but I've owned a Yamaha, a EBMM Bongo, and a G&L L-2500. I don't really buy based on what's on the headstock, I just found I liked the feel of my P more than my G&L. I bought my 2nd Fender because I wanted to do a neck swap to a fretless, and it's easier to get a neck to fit a Fender than other brands.

Not that I feel I need another bass, but if I were to go shopping again, I'd be looking hard at Carvin.

20. garp

garp

Multiple brands.

Until some company steps forward with a nice endorsement deal for me, I’m proud to be a complete and unrepentant brand whore. :D

21. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

Definitely multiple brands for me. I currently have a Conklin, a warwick, and a Fender. In the past, I've had G&L, Yamaha, Gibson, Ibanez, more Fenders, a Dean, etc. To me, they're individuals. I buy the tool I need for the job at hand.