1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Just a clear-up

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TheAngryPocket, Oct 6, 2013.

1. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

I'm interested in GK's 212MB-II, and I'm confused on its specs. Most places say it's 500watts, but GK's site says it's only 350watts. Anyone know what it's really rated? Thanks.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The MB212 II is full 500 watts. The 2 12" make a 4 ohm load. The same head with the 210 speakers is "only" loaded at 8 ohms and without an 8 ohm extension cab will output 350 watts.
  3. darius8

darius8

Where does it say that?

[​IMG]
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Bottom right corner.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    350w at 8 ohms, 500w at 4 ohms. That means as it sits, it's 350w, but if you add an 8 ohm extension cab, it's 500w.
  6. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

The note in the corner explains the asterisk and the 212MB-II does not have an asterisk next to it. Only the 210MB-II does.

B-string explained it correctly.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Wow, GK does a crap job of telling you the impedance. Asterisks and exceptions is no way to quote specs. Just say it in plain English what it is. Now I'm assuming that the 212 combo is 4 ohms and runs at 500w, but this is one of the most confusing ways to tell the specs of a series of combos that I've ever seen in my life.
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Looks like only the 210 is 8ohm and takes an extension cab. The little ones do the powered extension cab thing. Crazy thing is the 210 @ 350w spec is probably a crock unless they are using some special tens.
  9. agreatheight

agreatheight

This is my understanding. The other cabs are set up to use additional powered cabs only.
  10. Jefff

Jefff

I don't find it confusing at all. One asterisk on the left side and then an explanation on the right.

It seems direct and to the point to me.
  11. agreatheight

agreatheight

It is a little confusing (to me) that only one of the combos supports an extension cab.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Read the manual? The only thing it says in the manual (which covers the entire MB combo series) is:

Output power: 350w @ 8 ohms, 500w @ 4 ohms.

http://images.thomann.de/pics/atg/atgdata/document/manual/240218_240216_manual.pdf

GK makes fine stuff, but I'm a 35 year working pro, and it's even confusing to me, as well as the OP.
    No mention of the different models and what impedance the combo cabs run at. Yes, that is VERY confusing. It should very clearly state that the 212 combo runs at 4 ohms as it sits.
  13. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that all the MB combo's have the "chain out" to drive the MBP powered enclosures also.
  14. agreatheight

agreatheight

They do, but only the 210 can support an unpowered extension cab.
  15. B-string

I guess if you have no clue how to read footnotes it might be confusing? Maybe they should teach reading again in schools. :)
    Clearly states right next to the MB212 II, Power output 500 watts.
  16. edencab

edencab

+10
    seriously
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well I guess you guys are all geniuses then, and I'm a drooling slob.
  18. edencab

edencab

.how do they do that?
  19. B-string

They have a dedicated balanced +10db output from the preamp that interfaces with the self powered MBP cabs.
  20. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

I apologize, TB. I meant the 212MBP powered cab. Again sorry my confusion caused any here.