Just a Rant

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stonewall, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

No brands will be mentioned in this post no need for popcorn lol.I have read many posts at this site here,s a topic that really bothers me.You always read guys saying oh i owned one of those what a dog or the one i had had a 1/16th gap at at the neck joint or the pick ups were noisey bla bla bla.Do guys buy basses and then try them out? I don,t get it.Do your local music stores not let you try them out? I will not give any cash til i play the bass on stage. Before i even try it if i have interest first thing i do is look it over very closely for fit finish etc.. Giving your cash for a bass then later complaining is just plain stupid.I would love to hear from these people who complain about the gap their bass has at the neck joint please explain how this happens did you not look at the bass before you paid for it?
  2. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Perhaps they were ordered online.
  3. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

sometimes deals are done in dark alleys!!
  4. KablesP

KablesP

Your local music store lets you gig with basses you haven't paid for?

Ever heard of ebay?

AND. Lots of players on here use more than Fenders. Lots of stores DON'T carry more than Fenders and the cheaper brands.

Not everyone lives right around the corner from "Bass Boutique" that stocks all of the higher end basses.

Ever heard of trying a similar bass in a store and buying one online because it's cheaper/different finish/etc...

Obviously, if everyone COULD try out EVERY BASS they want to then they WOULD...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

;)
  7. FrettFretless

FrettFretless

Yes, I'm also wondering how you manage to gig with basses you haven't bought.
  8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

+1, Ditto & thank you
  9. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

8/10 to the OP. You'll get some bites.
  10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

What sane person would let you play a bass on stage before you buy it?

Buying sight unseen is very common practice. You get good prices and incredible selection. When someone buys a used bass online, they base their decision to purchase on the description of the instrument. If a seller says the bass is "mint", then it damn well better be mint. It's completely reasonable for a buyer to expect a seller to deliver a thorough and accurate description. If they don't - voom! - the bass gets returned. And the buyer has every right to be pissed.

When buying new, a customer has every right to expect a guitar to be manufactured to reasonable standards. If I paid $1,300 for a new American Standard Precision, I'm going to have certain expectations regarding quality of construction and playability. If that bass doesn't meet those minimum criteria - voom! - the bass gets returned. And I'd have every right to be pissed.

If you feel the need to go over a bass with a magnifying glass and then play it on stage before you buy it - go nuts. To me that's way over the top. I've bought dozens of basses sight unseen, and outside of a few shady sellers not being honest about the condition, I've been very happy. Those shady sellers got the basses back, and I got my money returned. No big deal.
  11. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Some places will let you rent a bass for a day or a week for relatively cheap. Probably that's the case.
  12. KablesP

KablesP

These days, most online stores and some ebay sellers offer refunds. Like you said, if the seller is untruthful, they will get whats coming to then (most likely the bass they tried to sell :smug:)

If you buy a bass online and don't check/go with a store with a no return policy, that's your fault.
  13. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

While the point of your rant is not without validity, the old saw "circumstances alter cases" definitely applies. As someone pointed out, not all of us live where we can cruise on down to one of the many music stores in the area, and try new basses to our heart's content. And in my case, here's a little test for you, the next time you're out cruising for a new bass. Pretend you're left-handed, and see how many basses you get to try out. Little different story, now, I'll bet.:D
  14. brownie_bass

brownie_bass [this space for sale, cheap] Supporting Member

I basically don't try anything in person before buying these days except for clothes and cars, and I haven't bought a car since 2006. Gear delivered to our door in 2 days, portable recording studios in our pockets, instant access to every recording ever made anywhere anytime... we are living in the future, better get used to it!

Having said that, when I don't like something I get I just return it if I can or sell it if I can't. No need to b*tch about it - you pays yer money and you takes yer chances.
  15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i called a store yesterday and the manager said such bad things about contemporary gibson basses that it disturbed me
  16. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Still waiting for the OP to identify the store that allows him to gig a bass before he buys it...
  17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I don't really buy in local stores anymore but every instrument, amp and PA part has been test tried in band conditions before I bought it. It is a common practice around here at least.
  18. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

That's very true; I'm sorry I wasted cash on several basses that looked good on paper, but once I played them - they got sold as second hand even though they were new, and in mint condition. I couldn't try them as nobody around here had any ... live and learn I guess.

I still buy online, but only the same models/brand that I have tried in person.
  19. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

How does that work?
  20. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

I assume, like me, he buys used.
  21. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

You leave a check or do a prepay on the credit card for the value of the gear and you can bring it home for a few days.
    There is typically a notice that if you don't bring it back, usually after 10 days, they will cash the reserve.
    It allows you to test gear in real life situation.

For PA, the practice is that you can have the guys come to the show and set it up for you. If you don't keep it, you will then only pay a rent.
    I'm surprised that it doesn't exist in the land of the king customer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.