1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Just an idear: Sterling SUB 5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassmatt4792, Feb 5, 2013.

1. bassmatt4792

bassmatt4792

So, I am getting ideas for a new 5 string. I love the sound of Ernie Ball basses, but have nowhere near the kind of money. Is there any way I could get a Sterling SUB 5, rout a cavity for a MM neck pickup, and wire it correctly with a 5 way switch so it operates and sounds close to a Ray HH? It wouldn't even have to be the best cavity, if just slap a HH pick guard on there and call it done. I feel as though I really need an HH as opposed to a single humbucker.

My other option would be picking up a used Fender Jazz V Standard for around $400.

2. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

can you do the mods yourself? with the cost of bass, parts and someone to mod it, it might not be worth it. i haven't done the actual math, just "typing out loud"

3. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Hold out for the Fender! I bought a Sub 5 and the electronics were DOA. Fender kills it in sound and build quality.

4. ex-tension

ex-tension

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassmatt4792

bassmatt4792

Haha looks like it'll be the Fender. If it was any other bass it would be way more simple. Active and coil splitting might be too complicated for me. Maybe someday I can get an EB MM Stealth 5 haha.

Thanks again for the tips.