Just aquired some old Ampegs, Silvertone, Fender amps...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassedInSpace, Dec 11, 2013.

1. BassedInSpace

BassedInSpace

A friend of mine called me today and told me someone he knows was selling some vintage gear so I went along with him to check it out, this is what I picked up.

Ampeg - VT-22 combo, B-25 head, B-25B head
    Silvertone - 1484 head, 1481 combo
    Fender - Pro Reverb blackface combo

I'm guessing new caps, maybe new tubes and a checkover are in order, I'm only planning on keeping the Fender and maybe the VT-22 so the others might show up in the classifieds soon. Never owned a tube amp so I'm diving right in with 6 of them. Any recommendations for a good tube amp tech/restorer in the south-west Chicago area?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Can't obviously help You with the tech, but congrats on the score.

What a nice pile of old amps You have there.
    Envy is a word that comes to my mind :).

Regards
    Sam
  3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Wow good find. Most of them look pretty rough, stored in a damp basement? If you haven't fired them up yet I'd wait and let a tech do it.
  4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Just a great project of re-habing to former glory. A lot of cleaning and detailing, but I love making the transition. Have fun and be careful with the innards. They can be very dangerous to you. :cool:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johnpbass

johnpbass

Very cool. Looks like a fun project.
    That Silvertone looks a lot like an old Danelectro amp that I had many years back. It was a guitar head that I used with a bass cab of unknown origin.
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

The amps are all restorable. Great set of projects ahead. It's going to get expensive when a tech gets involved.

I remember the deltalabs effectron jr. It was an affordable piece of rack gear in the 80's.

www.fliptops.net can help you out with parts for the Ampeg amps.
  8. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Yikes, cool score but so very sad to see how poorly some people treat their equipment. I might be interested in the Silvertone/Danelectro combo amp if you want to get rid of it.
  9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Very. Not sure what OP is planning, but I think I'd probably sell of some of them in questionable condition to fund repairs of the others rather than dump the money into fixing them all before sale.
  10. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Silvertone? Looks more like a Redtone to me!

Very interesting projects, unusual to see so many amps in that condition in one place at the one time. Were they stored badly, or were they stored near the sea or something? Rusty transformers look like bad news, but I could be wrong.
  11. BassedInSpace

BassedInSpace

Thanks guys, they were stored in a damp basement of a hoarder along with I'm told 30+ vintage Gibson/Fenders(guitars) but those were sold off already, the guy said he got $8000 for one of the Gibsons, there were several other amp heads/cabinets that I had to pass up since these were all I could carry, lots of interesting cabs and heads I had never seen before but these caught my eye.
    Redtone ha, or Rust-tone, the Silvertone combo seems to be in the best shape, it's the only one I've powered on, the others I'm going to have them checked first.
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Yeah, there's more than just caps and tubes work there. That's a bunch of rust on those transformers that would read as a sign of some pretty thorough restoration work ahead...its probably a sign of other 'decay' to be found, pots, contacts, sockets, etc.
  13. porterbass

porterbass

Chicago Music Exchange has a very good reputation for amp restoration work.
  14. porterbass

porterbass

You also might contact Hix Brothers Music in Aurora. Not sure if they do amp restoration to this extent but they are good guys, very knowledgible, and my previous experiences with them were great.
  15. tbz

tbz Supporting Member

Yeah I recently had a WT-800 with some minor rust damage re-hab'd. It was nowhere near as bad as any of those.

Think the bill was like ~$300, they did not have to replace many actual parts, and the parts they did replace are cheap and commonly available.

Can't imagine what that shop would charge to restore one of these.
  16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

It would be a fun project for someone who was into it. There may be water damage to the cabinets themselves (and the tolex/grills), the speakers if its a combo, the metal comoponentry inside beyond the stuff that normally needs replacing. All of which is fine, but adds up if you can't do the work yourself or if you have to 'order in' parts and components.

OP, what else was in the hoard?
  17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

As I'm nowhere near your area I can't help you. However, with that lot, you're going to get to know him really well!! :D
  18. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I can't see anybody spending $8k for a rusted amp, even a pristine Fender Deluxe from the late 50's would be hard pressed to get that kind of coin.
  19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Man, I love those sort of finds. I'd be drooling over your pile (of amps) :)
  20. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I recently fully restored an old '62 Epiphone Zephyr (EA15RV) amp with moisture damage, IMHO it's not really cost-effective.

It always gets me how some folks let perfectly good equipment rust away. (It also gripes me how some sellers seem to think their rusted-out stuff is worth as much or more than mint-condition vintage equipment.)
  21. BassedInSpace

BassedInSpace

There were a few Acoustic amp heads, a 4x12 cabinet with lime green grill cloth, don't know the brand, there was a cool looking speaker cab with 2 12"s facing away from each other, reminded me of a leslie or something like that, also there were about 8 more heads/combos that were gutted with the pieces scattered about, saw a couple fenders and a marshall in with them. Other things included a PA mixer, a couple JBL PA speakers, old record players and about 15 barrels full of stuff that I didn't look through.