Just blew a speaker on my Genz Benz NEOX-212T... need help finding replacement info

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by aguacateojos, Feb 19, 2013.

1. aguacateojos

aguacateojos Supporting Member

So, I was dumb. Drummer in my band plays at high volume, drives guitarist to crank his volume, leads me to turn up my GB Shuttle 9.0 without thinking about the load it is sending to my cabinet. The top speaker now has a nice crackle with every note played - this is VERY fortunately a slow time for gigs but I still have 3-5 rehearsals a week and need to fix this sucker ASAP... next gig is in ~ three weeks.

I've done some Google and TB searching but have not found any helpful information on replacing this speaker and am fairly uneducated in the world of speaker components - any help would be HUGELY appreciated. I'm not sure which brand(s) to check out for Neo replacements for starters... from there I can probably find a few guides on replacement method.

Thank you, TB, for helpful a bassist in need through hard times.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Contact GB as the drivers they have built to their specs are guaranteed to work!
    PM agedhorse for details!
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You can probably get the crackly one reconed for a lot less.

Failing that, Genz should supply a direct replacement from stock at a reasonable price.

If you're playing so loud you can't hear the cab blowing up on you I venture you're not using earplugs?
  4. aguacateojos

I shot agedhorse a message, thanks for the tip.

I go back and forth between using earplugs, generally on the using the 97% of the time side of things... tonight was the first night I forgot them. I didn't think I was pushing the cabinet harder than was safe but after finishing a tune I noticed the crackle.

Money is definitely an issue at the moment. I didn't notice a tear on the cone - what, if any, signs would I be able to see to determine if a recone could solve the issue of if this is grounds for a complete replacement? I suppose I'll call around to musicians I know for a tech in this field.

It's unfortunate timing, I was going to sell the cab last week and purchase a more appropriate replacement but that would have left me cab-less for a few gigs... live and learn.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. David Jayne

David Jayne

A recone will fix any and all speaker problems, including a deformed voice coil, which sounds like your problem. But I don't know if a recone kit is available for it. If not, a new Genz speaker is the only way to roll.
  7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Externally you can bodge up a damaged cone and get years of service, or replace a loose dust cap.

Reconing is stripping out the moving glued together parts and replacing them holus-bolus. It gets you a good as new speaker.
  8. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

PM sent.

Recone kits are available, and I can also take care of the reconing for you if you don't have a trusted pro reconer locally. The kits are for experienced reconers only as they are fully unassembled factory kits.
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

If Genz do the recone it'll come back like a brand new one.

I think I've forgotten my bass more times than my earplugs. It's a trip home either way.
  10. aguacateojos

Definitely leaning towards the Genz recone route, just need to determine if the one speaker is damaged or both need to be done - I already asked this in a PM but I guess I'll throw it out publicly as well: I want to determine whether or not the other speaker has sustained damage as well but with the noise from the top speaker it is difficult to tell. If I detach the top speaker will that just drop the load to 8 ohms and function as a single 8 ohm 12? Not for sustained playing purposes, just to hear if there is distortion in the second speaker.

As a side note to this affair, it appears that this rig setup isn't appropriate for my current playing situation - I love the Shuttle 9.0 and enjoyed the 2x12 cab but once I repair / replace speaker(s) I think I'll need to move on to another configuration. Does anyone have any suggestions? Weight is a bit of an issue and I would like to keep it between $600-700 assuming I get a large chunk of that from selling this cabinet. There are two Dr. Bass 1x15s, 450 watts at 8 ohms, in the classifieds - is this a terrible idea? Where would you go in my shoes? On paper it doesn't seem like this amp would be too quiet but here we are with a broken speaker.
  11. David Jayne

David Jayne

It is perfectly safe to REMOVE the suspect speaker and test the cab at low volume. You must remove the bad one because if you don't it will move and make bad noises even when disconnected. Low/moderate volume only, as the messed-up cab tuning won't load the remaining speaker properly which makes it easy to damage with over-excursion. Just be careful.
  12. aguacateojos

Will proceed with caution, thanks for the advice.
  13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Take out the bad one and take it easy. The possibly good one will be in basically free air with nothing in the other hole so a low E will produce massive excursion with little volume.

The other thing to do is gently push the cone in as evenly as possible with fingertips and feel for scraping.
  14. Ncognito

Ncognito

Disclosures:
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    It may not be an exact replacement, but I can help you with an Eminence 3012HO which is a pretty incredible speaker. I believe something extremely similar is what was in there.
  15. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    If you can't it done through normal channels talk to Nick at Xsonics... He may have a solution that kicks
  16. aguacateojos

Thanks again for the help y'all - I'm making the necessary inquiries to get this cab back on it's feet.

Does anybody have suggestions on where to go from here in the cabinet world? I love my Shuttle 9.0 but I apparently need a cab (or cabs) that provide more volume and presence.
  17. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    Try an Xsonics 212cf. 42 pounds, small 800 watts and sounds great. Check YouTube for videos
  18. aguacateojos

At this point I'm just not sure if a single 2x12 is going to be enough for my playing situation... on paper this amp / cab setup should have been plenty but I had to push it to this point to be audible. I've been researching on TB for setups which will offer more presence / larger sound but it seems like for every person who is pleased with a certain cab you get three more who just think you should buy an 8x10. Which is a level I'm not going for... that would look absurd at a small gig.
  19. David Jayne

David Jayne

If you like the sound you've got, your best bet is to add another identical cab. You'll need a series cable to put the total impedance at 8 ohms.
    That setup would kill.
  20. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Adding a second cab will do wonders for everything except your back ;) I know what it's like to be out-volumed by guitars & drums. My Shuttle 6.0 with a 112T should have been plenty for a church band but I had to add a NEOX 112T to be heard more than 3 feet from the cab -- and this with PA support. Drummers who don't know how to play other than at full volume are dangerous, and guitarists who have to crank "to get my sound" should be placed in front of loud drummers ... in another room.
  21. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Sorry but not close. The only similarity is the name Eminence and the Neo magnetic material.