1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Just bought a 1982 Ibanez Musician.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marty Forrer, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

2. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Love those......

3. Avezzano

Avezzano

wow: you got a real piece of history and an excellent bass, there!!! Compliments. That was one of the last basses issued with the old body shape, before the Ibanez body standard changed for the Musician/SDGR series...

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Congrats nice bass I love those also.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Those Musician basses are one of the best basses of it's era. Or, frankly, any era.

8. bassteban

bassteban

Sweet score! I got an MC-824(passive, bolt-on, more slab-shaped) recently for a song, and actually talked a guy OUT of selling me a fretless MC-924 for $500(or pretty much whatever price I wanted to set). I had to be straight w/ him, he's a good friend- he kept it. :rolleyes:

9. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

very nice! I love those basses :) I would probably put gold tuners on it but only for cosmetic reasons. Play it in health!

10. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

How does this bass stack up against an equivalent model of an Aria Pro?

11. woodyng

woodyng

I've had an '82 musician fretless on loan for about a month now. It is really well made,and between switchable active/passive modes has a nice variety of sounds. It hasn't quite delivered a "holy grail" of fretless for me,i think the multi laminate body and neck tends to dampen resonance to some degree,even with it being a neck through. OOTH,it does have some old,inexpenisve GHS flatwounds on it. I might throw a set of RW sunbeams on it to see what happens....

12. Lo-E

Lo-E

Well done! Great price, too! These are wonderful instruments. My '83 was stolen, but I still have my two '79s - a fretted (MC924) and a fretless (MC940). Love 'em.
    I'm also sitting on a pair of Ibanez Studio models (ST924), which are very different, but just as heavy! :)

Very comparable in terms of quality. They sound a lot different, though. Ibanez Musicians from that era have a ton of mids.

13. Lo-E

Lo-E

Sunbeams would be a good choice on these, as would GHS Compression wounds or Ken Smith Compressors. You could try a coated roundwound, too.

14. Standalone

Standalone

Nice. I have its bolt-on P/J cousin, the RS924, also a great bass. Bought as a teenager in London in the '90's, it is the last one I would ever get rid of.

15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

If I borrowed a friends fretless that had flats on it I would make a phone call before switching over to rounds.

IMO, '78-'86 Ibanez models are among the best basses in their price range.

16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I had that model bass back when it came out- 1982. Awesome bass, and yes, I remember the weight of the thing! I do remember the neck was a little bit fatter than today's Ibanez basses (or perhaps my hands were just that much smaller). Very solid bass though- I miss having it.

17. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

You know the rules! No pic = no bass!!!!!

18. Lo-E

Lo-E

Your memory is not playing tricks on you! :)

The necks were much bigger circa 1977-1982. They went to a narrower neck and different p'ups in '83, but they were still much fatter than today's Ibbys.

19. zeke917

zeke917

I would never part with my old-timers! Enjoy your MC-924, there isn't an instrument out there for $450 that comes close to it IMHO

20. banikek

banikek Supporting Member

Must. Post. Actual. Pic.

21. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd

+1!