Just bought a Genz Benz contour 500 series ctr500-115t

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by moonshinegtrs, Feb 1, 2014.

1. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    I've been watching these for a couple of weeks and finally decided to pull the trigger...
    http://www.proaudiostar.com/genz-benz-contour-ctr500-115t-bass-amp.html

I realize that Fender is phasing these out but... Who cares?

This is a lot of Genz Benz awesomeness for way under $400!!!

I am playing in two bands; one West of Nashville (where I live) and one east of town (where I used to live). I have a Genz Benz shuttle 6.0 with 2 1x12 cabinets (Love it!) that lives in band #1's rehearsal space; We have full sound & light production and that rig travels with that equipment.

Band two is a power trio that is basically friends that reunited from a previous band. We don't gig as much as band #1, but I wanted to have something to use when I played out with them without schlepping my gear across town (I also have a Christian worship gig, but it is all in-ears). I believe this will do the job nicely.

I would like to find the extension 1x15 cabinet (CRT500-EXT115 or even a CRT500 EXT210) now so I can get the entire 500 watts... I also thought about finding a 4 ohm, 500 watt 15" speaker to install so that I could get 500 watts out of this single unit... Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm psyched... Can't wait until next week...

Moonshine :bassist:

2. speeves

speeves

I got the 2x10 a few months ago and has worked nicely for my praise team opportunities. We do in-ears, so I use it as a monitor. Pretty happy :)

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

don't bother with the 4Ω speaker thing; the matching second cab will be way more effective.

a nice idea, i was surprised it didn't catch on; a simple, professional solid state 1x15 combo that could drive the second cab. it's a little weird that it doesn't have a loop or a power amp in, but the "aux in" works well enough if you want to bypass the pre and drive it with a sansamp or something.

[spam] oh, and alpha has one left of each of these, the 15 combo and the matching 15 cab[/spam]

4. ou812

ou812

Andrews Music still has the 2-10's cabinet. Just bought one tonight to go with the 1-15 combo I bought thied afternooon. $200!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

cool, but you'd have been a little better off with the actual matching cab, the 1x15. (good deal, though.)

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with mixing the 210 and the 115 in the contour/focus lines. The cabinets were designed for this combination to work well together. The phase response is very similar.

8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Damn - I already have way too many cabs/heads/combos, but this is really tempting - I figured the Contour would work well with the Focus cabs and I already have a 115 (well two actually).

9. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

+1 on leaving the stock speaker in it. I have the same combo and it's plenty loud as it is. Save the extra power for an extension cab.

10. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I had teh 210 combo for while.. and it was LOUD.. Used with a 115 extension, it is able to do almost any gig.. and it has a GREAT DI too

11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

If you can't find the Focus 115 extension, Avatar sells the B115 (tweeterless) for a great price.

12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

13. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

I bought the 15" combo....love it.
    Kind of want the 2x10 ext cab,but I hardly need the power of the combo,much less another 200+ watts...
    Would be fun though...

14. ou812

ou812

Thanks, AgedHorse, for the reassurance! I figured at these prices how could I go wrong, but my gut told me it would be fine. I once had a Marshall that had something like a 15 and a 10 in the same cabinet! (course it did keep blowing the 10) But mainly I couldn't decide whether I wanted a 210 or a 115, so in effect I got both! By selectively pulling plugs, I can have either, or BOTH!! (Right?) Can't wait for 'em to get here.:D

15. moonshinegtrs

Disclosures:
    Man, You just had to show me this... :D

I've been repeating to myself... "You don't need the extension cabinet... You don't need the extension cabinet"... Didn't work :rollno:

I just ordered the 2-10 cab from Andrews.

Moonshine's Top Ten Reasons (excuses) For Buying The Ext. Cab:

1. I appreciate that this amp series was designed to have a small footprint onstage; At one time, I was blessed to spend a lot of time on big stages... Nowadays, it's all about fighting for whatever space I can dig out (for some odd reason, all my drummer buddies have some sick kind of Neil Peart fixation... How many cymbals does one need for a bar gig?).

2. I've always wanted to try a rig with the 10's on the bottom and a 15 on the top... Really.

3. adding the ext. cab. will make it easier to hear myself on stage. I have been spoiled combo amps with the "kickback" design; I used Hartke amps for years, my main rig was a 500 watt stack (HA5000 head, 2x10 & 2x15 cabs). I got one of their 12" Kickback amps early on and have owned a number of them over the years). I liked the "kickstand" on the bottom of my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0/1-12 rig (I have the 1-12 ext. cab for this too). It wasn't a deal breaker (for the price), but I do prefer have the speakers pointed at me if possible.

4. These amps have been phased out, so the chances of finding one at any price is getting slimmer by the moment (I did the same thing with my shuttle rig).

5. I think the tens will give me a little more top end. The comment by agedhorse is the reason I started considering the 2-10, I most likely would have gone with the 1-15, but I do think the 2-10 will work out better in the long run... That and Andrew's Music was sold out of the 1-15 :D

6. Having owned the Shuttle rig for a few years now, I am very impressed with Genz Benz. I love the sound of the Shuttle and although this rig is all solid state, I have no doubt that I will be able to get the tone I am after (read a lot of good reviews on this as well). So far, the Shuttle has held up with no problems; I am hoping for the same experience with this rig. Honestly, this was the reason that I quit using Hartke rigs. I love their sound,still do. (on a side note; I always used paper cones, never could get into the aluminum ones), but they seemed to spend a lot of time in the repair shop... Repeatedly.

7. Can you say "Headroom"?

8 "C'mon"... It was $200! A brand new, upper end rig with 500 watts, a 1-15 & a 2-10 for under $600? It's a Freakin' No Brainer! (this is not the approach I will take with my wife... "With age, comes wisdom")

9. Size does matter.

10. I really need this amp... Okay, like a hole in the head, but apparently, I am G.A.S.'s bitch. A man can behave for only so long, before temptation takes over (Again, not the approach I will take with Mrs. Moonshine).

In reality, I have been looking for a fairly decent sized combo amp for a couple of months. This is way more amp than what I was looking for, but once again for the price, I couldn't resist.

The other factor in this happening was a recent craiglist score of a 2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio guitar project (well played, but structurally sound with the exception of a cracked headstock). Repaired, it will bring more than double what I bought it for and will pay for the amp/cab. purchase. :hyper:

There's a lot of ups and downs in life, but every once in awhile, the planets align, the clouds part and the sun shines down.

In the late great Warren Zenon's last appearance on the David Letterman show, David asked him what his condition had taught him about life (he had mesothelioma, a type of lung cancer which took his life in 2003) to which he replied "you're reminded to enjoy every sandwich".

Who am I to argue with that?

tastybasslines likes this.
  16. funkucan'ttouch

funkucan'ttouch Supporting Member

Went to get a 210 extension at Andrews and they sold out :(!!!! Any clue where to find another one?!

17. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Entertaining post, Moonshine. I, too, had absolutely no need for another amp/rig. In fact, I had just recently sold off a sweet Markbass CMD102P combo amp and 115 extension cab because I didn't need it. (I already had two nice rigs.)

But when I saw the sale prices on these, I just couldn't pass it up. I got the 115 combo amp and was lucky enough to find a 115 extension cab. I really love the earth-shaking, gut-rumbling sound of the 2 15's. But that being said, I'm sure your 115/210 setup will sound killer as well. My Markbass rig in that same combination sure did. Enjoy!

18. moonshinegtrs

Disclosures:
    Thanks Jeff.

If you ever get a hankering for a 2-10 cabinet... Let me know. ;)

19. Icculus

Icculus

I kinda wish I bought the 210 version, not that I'm unhappy with my 115. It's just that I already have a GK 115 and the extension cab I got was the 210 (I know it's OK to match speaker sizes for these).

Is there any issue with unplugging the speaker from my combo and just running the amp through the 210 extension speaker alone, aside from obviously getting less power?

20. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

There are no issues running through the extension only. As far as the amp is concerned, it's an eight ohm load - same as the internal speaker.

21. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Does anyone have an oppinion on wheather the 210 is voiced with more mids than the 15? I have the 115 here and its awesome.....but its much darker of a tone than I'm used to. I had to back off the bass, turn the contour all the way off....and then crank the mids and highs with the tweeter on and it was still dark sounding.

If the 210 is more mid focused...I'd like to add that. Either an extention or even another combo.

What say you?