1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Just Bought A Mesa 400 non plus

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mikenel169, Dec 23, 2012.

1. mikenel169

mikenel169 Supporting Member

Well after a long hunt for a good enough deal, i finally was able to purchase a Mesa 400 non plus in very good condition. It has new matched 6550's in her and was supposedly well maintained. Only problem is I wont have it until probably after the first of the year with shipping during the holidays!

I'm very excited, this is my first tube amp. I was wondering if anyone good give me some input on this amp and maybe some advice on maintenance. I will be using this amp to power 2 mesa 410s and using a Spector Euro as my bass.

Any input/ information or suggestions would be great!!

Happy Holidays
  2. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Congrats! A great amp. I can offer no advice other than to turn knobs and experiment.
    There are quite a few threads here on TB about this amp - a search should drown you in information.
    Enjoy!
  3. mikenel169

Thanks!!! I'm very excited
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

"Flat" eq is midscooped, crank mids to 10 to avoid. Enjoy!
  5. mikenel169

awesome thanks!
  6. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Also, you can split your signal into both inputs, and use the 2 volume controls to mix a tasty clean/dirty blend.
  7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

Congrats! That is a killer head, and a Spector plugged into that just destroys.
    Input 1 would best match the super hot output of the Spector.
  8. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

You will likely love it!

I have a Mesa D-180 (predecesor to the 400) and a Spector Forte 5 and they sound great together. I ran them with a PH410 (sold the PH as i have too many cabs and like my light Bergantinos) and it was loud as hell and sounded great.

You should be able to get clean as well as pretty raunchy out of the 400. Play around with the master/volume. It is a pretty versatile amp IMO.
  9. mikenel169

Man i cant wait to get this puppy. I'm transitioning from a Mesa M2k, which was a great amp. I'm thinking once i go tube, i probably won't go back.
  10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I'm a bit precious about my D180 so it lives in a shock case. It's nearly as heavy as an SVT and needs a heap of cab or PA to do the business so it lives at home unless I really feel like treating the largely unappreciative world to some tube tone. I'm nowhere near as old as Jimmy either.

You'll probably want to keep a SS amp around for practice sessions.
  11. mikenel169

That is a great suggestion, I may think of picking up an 800RB down the road as back up.
  12. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Suggestions?
    Yeah, enjoy that, what a great setup!
  13. mikenel169

Thanks Chef!
  14. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The Bass 400 with KT88/6550's is my favorite amp. I had one and loved it, sold it in an emergency, spent years finding another. I use a Sansamp in the FX loop with mine for tone primarily but also for a massive clean boost by switching it to "line" level. If you find the preamp grits up too easily put a 5751 (ideally a JAN) in V1, that will help a lot.
  15. mikenel169

awesome man, appreciate your input

Happy Holidays to all!
  16. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    To elaborate on a previous comment, 2/10/2 on bass/mid/treble is relatively flat. Those are awesome amps. I should have never sold mine.
  17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

Yes, to make things easier on yourself on learning the amp, start with the rotary eq dials set at 2-10-2 and the master higher with the inputs lower, turn off the slider eq section for now. Once you get used to how the dials work, then play with the graphic sliders; middle is flat.
  18. mikenel169

The wait is finally over. It came with one busted 6550 so i had to wait another 5 days to hear her.

Well here she is!!!

Tone for days :bassist:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Edword

Edword

Congrats!
  20. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

also the inputs are different preamps.
    I think one is kind of a bassman clone the other is the "Mesa" channel. So the first one is a little more low mids, the 2nd gets more upper mids and is gainier.
    The rotary eq immediately follows the input preamps. From there it goes out to the effect loops. Then the graphic EQ and finally the power amp.
    I kind of think of the rotary EQ and pre as where I get my sound, and the graphic EQ and master volume I change to suit the room.

Oh yeah, the master really only goes to 8. If you turn it up past that it doesnt get louder, only hissier.

ps.the guy that compared the D180 to an SVT. For shame! they are much lighter than an SVT. Though in a heavy rack case it could get close.