1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Just bought a newsed Yamaha TRBX 505!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vstringbassist, Mar 17, 2014.

1. vstringbassist

vstringbassist

Hey all, I just picked up a newsed trans black Yamaha TRBX 505 (although it is more of a solid mat black finish) this evening for $300cdn! It has hardly been touched. This is a very nice bass for the money - very solid and nice construction. I also like to the look of the 505. I have read good reviews on these basses and am anxious to get it setup. I always strip my "new" basses down and give them a good cleaning and ensure the screws/nuts are snug. I was happy to see that the fret board did not turn my cleaning cloth black (rosewood)! I have had this happen on a few other "lower" priced basses I have owned.
    Anyone own a 505? What do you think of it?

2. LostInSauce

LostInSauce

Great Score!! I'm waiting the arrival of a 503. It seems the only difference is the electronics to include the 5-way switch. If I don't dig the electronics, I'll swap them out. Super stoked for Friday.

3. duckman999

duckman999 Supporting Member

Pickups are also different between those bass's. Check it closer. There is a youtube video documenting it also with some Yamaha endorsed heavy dude playing both and detailing the differences.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

I can tell you I like my 504. I'm guessing you will enjoy the 505. Great basses, well made and a treat to play.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bohemond

bohemond

I have the 504 in the same finish. Its fantastic. My favorite bass and i own a lakland and 2 fender precisions

7. Evangion

Evangion

Quick question for the TRBX505. Could you help measure the pickups dimensions?

Do they fit any of these sizes?
    bartolini® p2 (4.27″ x 1.27″)
    emg40® (1.51″ x 4.02″)
    emg45® (1.51″ x 4.52″)

8. Luca Zugnoni

Luca Zugnoni

Aka: The question is: " Can I put the Nostrand dual coil pickups?" :)

9. Evangion

Evangion

Right on the money!

Picked up my TRBX505 two weeks back. Brought it home, tweaked the truss rod, intonation, and action. Used it for my club gig the next day. Love it! My primary bass is a Sadowsky PJ Metro but the TRBX505 pretty much does it for me too.

[​IMG]

The stock pickups on it are great, love the sound. HATE the preamp though. It's noisy and the darn active/passive DPDT switch occasionally cuts the sound out. I've already ordered in a Nordstrand 2b-4c preamp and can't wait till it's shipped. Pity I'll lose the low battery LED though.

10. Vektori

Vektori

Just bought today 504. I already owned one Yamaha before and I love how ergonomic they are. Just can't wait to get play this one through my amp. On my hand, it feels perfect. Look good, too. And what I played it at the shop, first pre amp in bass, that I actually like. Also have to love the active/passive swich. :hyper:

11. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

I liked them so much I got both!

Attached Files: