Just bought a Surveyor 414

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

Well, I'm not exactly a risk taker; after 40+ years of weekend warrior work, I'm pretty happy with my passive Fenders and newer Stingray. However, this ESP Surveyor at $299--with an MF labor day discount--just can't be overlooked. I wanted the natural ash, but went for the burst instead. I hear it's heavy, but even at my age I don't care much about weight; I will post honest impressions once received.

2. keiser8339

keiser8339

I just got all my dough saved up for my Surveyor, and I plan on buying it rather soon. Had to save a little bit more because my band plays in drop d a lot, so I'm adding a hipshot to is. I've read a few reviews about it being heavy too, but I'm not too concerned either. My Peavey Millennium has some weight to it, so it's all the same to me. Let me know how it plays, and I'll be checking up on your thread. Happy playing man.

3. NWB

NWB

I know someone that recently picked up one. He really digs it a lot.

That's a whole lot of bass for the money!

Gotta be one of the best deals ever.

4. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

I'm wondering if the fretboard on the tri-burst 414 is ebony (it is on the black model); the pictures show it being very dark. That would be a great plus!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Hey O,
    I just scored a mint 414 Natural with a mint ESP case for $305.00 shipped on EBay! Never owned or played an ESP. I also got a B-204SM at Music123 for $332.00 shipped! I really wanted to also try the B-4B but no one has one in stock. I'm going to keep either the Surveyor 414 or the B-204SM and sell or return the one I don't keep.
    Jack

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

You know they are brand new at Guitar Center for $254, right? Not really a difference once you add in a case, but it would at least be brand new with a warranty and return policy.

8. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Not the Natural color! Only black and 3 tone burst!!!
    Check the site again. They are showing the natural color in the ad, but when you click on select, the options are only black and 3 tone burst.

9. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

I got my black one a few days ago. THIS THING IS INSANE. I can get so many amazing tones out of it. It is a very trebley sounding bass, but when you boost the lows a little....my god.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

They had them all a few days ago, they just sold out of the natural.

11. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Maybe a couple of weeks ago mmbongo, because I've been scouring the sites for about 2 weeks. You can't get a natural color anywhere except Ebay right now.
    I've also been looking to get a B-4B or Z. GC, MF, and 123 don't even offer the Bs or Zs, just the Es. The places that I googled that normally stock the B are all out of stock as well.

12. marnold

marnold

I got a natural one on the 22nd. I was actually going to get the one with the blue quilt top, but they were gone by the time I pulled the trigger. I agree with splitcoilsenior's analysis of it. Lots of flexibility in this bass. I just slapped a set of Fat Beams on mine. Getting one for $299 seems like highway robbery.

Orpheus55, I believe that the bursts have a rosewood fretboard. IIRC, only the black ones have ebony. I wanted maple so it was either the blue quilt or the natural.

13. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

I received the bass today, and it is very nicely set up, about nine pounds, and really well-balanced. Not exactly sure what the controls do. I have the master volume down, but the others seem to be various cut/boost controls. I've set everything at flat, the concentric one as well, and it sounds great. Anyone out there know the specific use of the controls?

14. NWB

NWB

Hey there Marnold, great to see you over here with the bottom-enders!:hyper:

15. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mine will be here Saturday Orp. Very anxious to explore it also. Did you get the natural color? How does the neck feel?
    Jack

16. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

I ordered a black one last Saturday but I'm still waiting to get tracking for it :mad:

17. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

I wanted the natural, but the sunburst looks very nice. Slimmish neck--like a jazz bass, really. Crisp, smooth crunchy tone at flat settings with a lot of room in all directions. It came in tune, neck straight, and even intonated! I tried lowering the action a tad, but went back to the factory settings. Very well balanced, great looking grain, and a really great overall feel. Not a "sexy" beast, but very strong and responsive. I think it's a keeper. I weighed it on the bathroom scale--about nine or so; not light, but balanced nicely in the way the ATKs are. The rosewood is dark and extrremely smooth; almost felt like ebony. I'm thinking the concetric controls are for both pickups, and the other two are mids, but any opinions on them is welcome. I'm working from flat on everything till I know it better.

18. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

I just saw that you are in Port Charlotte! I'm down here in Cape Coral!! I also believe that you are a member of the 'Old Farts Bass Players Club' that I started in here! Small world! After buying, returning, selling, and trading bass guitars for 2 years I finally settled on Schecter, believe it or not. I had heard some good reports on ESP, which was the only make I had never tried, even though I had tried everything from a Rickenbacker to an Ibanez Mikro. I ordered an ESP B-204SM and so far so good, even though I haven't gigged with it yet, I think it will be a keeper. From what you've told me the 414 will also join the 204 and my 2 Schecters.
    BTW, I have some mint Dean Edge Q4s with the Batrtolini pickups for sale if you are looking for a killer backup bass. $200.00 with a gig bag.
    Jack

19. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

It is a small world indeed. I suspect we have mutual musical friends in the area. The Surveyor is really a graceful player so far; I'll gig with it soon and report. I've always liked Shecters from afar, the Studios looking especially nice. Hard to believe how many great buys there are out there these days. Maybe Splitcoilsenior could share with us some of the functions of the 414 controls.

20. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

It has active treble, mid and bass controls, a master volume and a pickup pan. The switch splits the bridge humbucker

21. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

I think I have it; the two knobs nearest the pickups are the master volume and balance. The middle knob toward the lower edge is the midrange cut/boost, and the concentric knob is the bass and treble cut/boost. The switch gives it a brighter sound overall once turned toward the pickups.