1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Just bought an Ashdown mibass 2.0. Question for class D gurus.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by creis2, Oct 24, 2013.

1. creis2

creis2

Didn't really need a new head, but I got this on eBay for very cheap. I won it on eBay auction for ~$200, I was happy. I'm a huge Ashdown fan.

After playing it at home, it sounds great. Very similar tone to the ABM series.

I do have a concern about the power rating, however. I feel they have exaggerated the power output. Which is surprising, I feel like my ABM 500 is conservatively rated. Here's why:

I like to open stuff up when I buy it, I did the same with this amp. I know most manufactures don't build their own class D modules, the same with this. I noticed it says "Abletec alc0300" on it, so I decided to give it a google search.

Here's what's inside my amp, splitting image of what's shown in the picture: http://www.profusionplc.com/images/data%20sheets/alc0300-1300.pdf

I notice the spec sheet says there's a 320 watt output.

On the Ashdown site it says both "the MiBass 2.0 is a hugely potent bass amplifier head, utilizing a devastating 640-watt peak (400watt RMS) power section" and in the spec sheet it says "Power Output (RMS) 640 Watt".

Has Ashdown fallen into the category of manipulating specs?
  2. chienmort

chienmort

Well there us hardly an amp manufacturer on the planet that has not played fast and loose with a spec occasionally.

The Abletec amp is rated at 320 watts RMS into a 4 ohm load at 1% THD. (Total Harmonic Distortion). At 8 ohm impedance we can expect just shy of 200 watts.

It is rated at 400 watts RMS at 10% THD into a 4 ohm load or 240 watts at 8 ohms.

So where does 640 watts come from? Apart from being twice 320 I don't know.

The ABM is rated at 575Watts into 4 ohms but there is no indication of the distortion at that level. If we assume 10% then the difference in acoustic output between the two amps should be all but inaudible.