Just bought an older Ibanez bass.....what would you pay for it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by powmetalbassist, Jan 3, 2013.

1. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

So I just bought a 1990 Ibanez SR1000. I know this may be stepping over some boundries with the rules of the forum, but what would you have paid for such an instrument had you actually wanted it? Or if anyone knows where I can find such info on the net?

I don't want to hear from you haters out there, just curious what similarily minded people think such an instruments value is. I'm not going to disclose what I paid for it, I doubt I got a killer deal, but paid a fair price.

2. Wallace320

Wallace320

Over here (Milan, Italy) a few months ago an SR1000 (in very mint condition - close to brand new actually) was priced €. 600,00 (so I think up to $. 700.00/$. 750.00)

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

I'd say maybe $300-400.

One thing about the older Ibbys is that they aren't very sought after, so they're usually pretty cheap. In many cases, this makes them great purchases.

4. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59

I've only been picking up guitars and basses in the pawnshops for the last few years. I only buy when it's a KILLER deal. So to answer your question, I'd have picked it for about $200. This is not to say it's worth more,but that's the only way I would have bought it. Congrats on your new bass:)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    SR1000 would have been top of the line. Ive seen older 800s in the $400-$500 range. And yes the older ibanez basses are sought after by many.

7. WholeGrainBass

WholeGrainBass

I bought a 97 SR1200 last year for $600. I dont regret it at all. Love that thing.
    I'm surprised it was that cheap seeing how the previous owner left it in its case the entire time and only played it a handful of times.

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

For "me" to pick it up, the bass would have to be near mint and priced under $300

9. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Not THAT sought after. That's why the prices stay nice and low. Much like older Yamahas.

Of course, there are exceptions, but even old Ibanez Musician basses tend to stay below $1000, as do older Yamaha BBs.

They need to remain a nicely kept secret while everyone else goes after new basses or vintage Fenders, Gibsons and Rics.

10. bassteban

bassteban

I'd say $3-400 if you we're after that bass, specifically. They are great basses, but the market these days is still pretty slow.

BTW, as a supporting member, you can talk values all day long. :cool:

11. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Sounds about what I'd been figuring 300-500. Also I've seen them go for double that in Europe. They seem more sought after across the pond than here. Thanks guys, was just curious as I've bought a few late 80/Early 90's 707/727's for around 275-350. Wasn't able to find too much on value for the 1000's.

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I wouldn't say these old MIJ Ibanez models are "sought after". More like "appreciated", since the prices they fetch are on the low side. Around a year ago I picked up an SR800 from the late 80's for $175.