Just bought my 4th bass --- now I want a 5th!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Jan 14, 2014.

1. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I started playing a few years ago with a precision bass that was part of a bass/amp combo deal. I still have it and keep it as my "go to" bass when I just want to work on something sitting in front of the computer or noodling on the couch, etc. I also have an Ibanez SRX300 tuned BEAD for some heavier stuff (Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, etc.) and an Ibanez SR300 that I picked up used from Craigslist. I just picked up my fourth bass from the TB classifieds last week, a Fender FSR Jazz strung with TI Jazz Flats. Even though I'm just a "hobbyist", I'm now drawn to a fifth bass, a Squier Affinity Jazz. I played one at a local shop and the tone was just raw and crunchy and just completely different than the other four basses I have. I've certainly not paid a lot for the four basses I have and most of you have one bass worth more than all four of mine combined, yet I'm still drawn to adding a fifth one to my inventory. Of course, I think this is a stupid notion and I should just save money for something "nicer" like an American Fender or a nice MusicMan but I just don't have a desire for something like that, nor anything more higher-end. Is this just another case of GAS or my OCD, or some other acronym, or should I really consider adding another bass to the collection.
  2. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

I’m happier with a few mid-priced basses over expensive ones , because I’m more comfortable with them, I enjoy a bit of variety, and it doesn’t amount to a ton of money.
    A few years ago I bought a Squier Affinity Jazz V from on line and it’s just fine; I even gigged it a couple times right out of the box. At least you’ll play it before you buy it to be sure.
  3. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I suppose I feel the same way. I like having the different options without spending a fortune. I'm kind of hung up on having two jazz basses but they're different animals and have totally different sounds ...
  4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Welcome to Gasville!
    Population: Most of Us
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. penguineman

penguineman

welcome to the world of Bass playing and having GAS
  7. djasterix

djasterix Supporting Member

Wellcome fellow gasman... I've three Cort basses, Action V-DLX, Artisan A5 and GB5 Custom. Enjoying every bit of them, now gassing for my fourth...
  8. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

Some think of GAS as a disease...

[​IMG]

for me it's a lifestyle!

Having basses I enjoy makes me happy, and I like basses on the low end of the price spectrum.
  9. bass4worship

bass4worship Supporting Member

Why all the same? Do you have them stung with different strings?
  10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Actually you can get a Musicman type bass that's in your price range.
    It's the Sterling by Musicman Sub Ray - you can find them used for less than $200. Brand new it's $289. It's a fantastic value and very close to the $2000 Musicman Ray.

Here's more info on it:-
    http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/sub-bass

Of course you can get the Affinity first, then this can be your 6th bass... lol
  11. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Wow, I thought I wrote this thread. I too just got my 4th bass....and am considering a Lake Placid blue Affinity jazz bass. In my case, I have 2 vintage modified jazz basses and no real NEED for yet another jazz bass. I have some leftover Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket and I don't know what to get.

I have 2 Sterling by Musicman SUB ray basses, a 4-string and a 5-string. They are very nicely built especially for the low price tag. I highly recommend them.
  12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Are you looking at the same pic? The finish is the same on all of them but they all look like different basses to me.
  13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

lol... I too have 2 Sterling basses, a 4 and a 5 myself. What I'm considering next though is a Red Squier VM Modified Jaguar with a humbucker pickup. I have had a total of 60 basses the past 3 years though, now I'm down to 9. Might as well make it an even 10 eh?
  14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I've mapped out the DNA strands of this particular disease. Instead of coming up with G-A-T-C, I keep getting S-X-L-P-B. :bag:
  15. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

I bought a SBMM Ray 34 not long ago and yeah, I already want another Bass. Because there's nothing like a new bass day! GAS is a disease. I'm looking to track down a Sunburst Squier Affinity Jazz from a music store about an hour away. I'm trying to move my Acoustic Bass and so far they've given me the most reasonable offer. I very well may be able to score the Affinity for around $80.
  16. pfox14

pfox14

I get bored with only one color
  17. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I think the Whammy pedal is capable of adding a fifth.
  18. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

Strictly speaking, none are the same. The ones without inlays are fretless, and some have maple fretboards.

I do have flats on the fretlesses, but even without that, each is a different model.
  19. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I've been there, I've had a bunch of basses. Then i got a relatively affordable 7 string (gt7) put a Aguilar obp3 in it and had no desire to buy a bunch of "normal" fretted basses. The only bass I've bought since was a fretless, when it comes to basses instead of my wish list being p bass, jazz bass, Gibson, or stingray my ideal collection would be two fretted 7s, a cheap 8 sting octave bass, and a fretless. That's about all id want to maintain. If I had my own bass tech and a string endorsement id add stuff to the list like an ns stick, electric upright, acoustic bass, bass vi. Basically instruments that are dramatically different from each other.
  20. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

WELCOME!

The cure is when you run out of room to keep them.
    A useful rule here is if they can't be used LIVE, they get sold.
    Note: the two basses with the most postive comments cost $247(Fame/Hondo with Kahler) and $229(Galveston clear acrylic). It did take a while to get the Galveston to play and sound great(strings and jacking with setup for a long time).