just curious ... It has happened to your guitar any accident wich makes damaged beyon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by los100malditos, Jan 30, 2013.

1. los100malditos

los100malditos

It has happened to your guitar any accident wich makes damaged beyond repair?

2. eddiemac

eddiemac

Not me, but my guitar player had his Les Paul smashed to bits on Main Street after his wife found out he was having an affair. No putting it back together after that. She did it right in front of him.

3. GoesThump

GoesThump

I had a decent classical guitar that died in a session about 20 years ago. This idiot was leaning back on his chair in the studio & fell over on to my guitar, and boom... splinters.

Oh... I should mention that the idiot in question was me. :meh:

GT

4. bassteban

bassteban

I had a total POS MIJ not-even copy bass w/a cracked headstock- you could see through the crack, but it stayed together. I gave to an aspiring kid and told him it may explode at any moment. Had a cool sound

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mykk

Mykk

I once had a cheapo acoustic that my cats knocked over and it snapped the headstock completely off at the neck. Some wood glue and carefully angled screws, that guitar played for another 10 years. It is now sitting in my friends shed somewhere, I could probably pick it up and still play it.

7. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Ya know, I never appreciated the stage act of smashing a guitar. The majority of the audience cheers it, but I can't help but wish they'd given that guitar to someone in one piece.

8. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

"All the Kings horses and all the Kings men"

Nope is my answer.
    No Humpty Dumpties here ;).

But I have put a Gibson Firebird that was in five pieces together. Still have it.

Only an acoustic guitar/bass smashed to splinters would IME be something I'd consider "beyond repair". Anything else can be repaired.

Whether it's feasible to repair such an instrument or not, that's another matter alltogether.

Regards
    Sam

9. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    I saw an article recently (might be a youtube of it) about a guitar player's vintage ES-335 that got caught between the conveyor and the frame of an airport baggage machine in its hard case. It looked totalled, but according to the owner, estimated repairs were about $2k. Of course that's on an axe worth $10k or more.

Like T-Bird says, there's not much a good luthier can't repair - look at the Bass of Doom. It's just a matter of the cost being worth it.

10. bampilot06

bampilot06

Bought a 20 doller no name electric guitar at a garage sale when i was in high school. That year the school had a talent showand my band decided to play in. On our last song our guitarist used that one and smashed it on stage. School was not happy. Wanted him to pay for the dent he put into the stage.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Well did you make that fool pony up and get you a new guitar? :D

12. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

When I was young, my cousin owned an Ibanez Musician guitar. It was beautiful and sounded wonderful. He didn't play or anything, the guitar was given to him. I had borrowed it for a week or so. I wanted to buy it, but at that time he wasn't interested in selling it.

Maybe 2 years later, he phoned me asking if I still wanted to buy it for just $100. I said "Of course" & drove out to get it. Again, he does not play. Also, he must have stored the guitar unprotected, (directly under an open window or something.) The guitar neck was ruined beyond repair. It was not a matter of a simple truss rod adjustment, the neck twisted left-to-right if you picked it up & looked at the neck lengthwise. Of course, I didn't buy it. I was upset and saddened that he let a fantastic guitar essentially turn into junk.

13. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

I've stripped truss rod nuts and ripped out frets, but nothing beyond small repair needed. My friend mike had a beautiful Les Paul he carved flowers and dragons into, absolutely awesome instrument. He got drunk one day a tightened the truss rod so much it forced its way out of the back of the neck.

14. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

My first bass, a red plywood Charvel was smashed and thrown in a fire pit by myself after the 10th D string break. Wasn't long after that I discovered it was probably a saddle burr and not the crappy bass (well, I'm sure it's crappiness contributed too). I miss that bass and it's pointy headstock.

15. PWRL

PWRL

Not yet, but there's still time.

16. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I have the "potential" to cause my own incident at some point, if I don't get off my behind and hang my basses/guitars on the wall. (I am planning on doing it, just have to save some money for the materials first.) I already filled my 7-guitar rack. I have other instruments either sitting on the floor or leaning against my couch. Very high potential for danger.

17. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

I had an SX guitar that I was playing while in bed. Before I went to sleep a laid it on the floor next to me. When I woke up to turn my alarm clock off which across the room, I stepped on the fretboard and the wood split length wise all the way down the neck.

Thank god it was only an SX.

18. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    I haven't, but I saw this-
    -about the 1:28 mark

I like Uriah Duffy. He's a great bassist and he seems like a pretty cool dude, but that was kinda silly...LOL!

19. bootsox

bootsox

no such thing as beyond repair

20. awesomesawyer

awesomesawyer

I would pay to see that.... xD

21. BrianToska

BrianToska

I have a tendency to jump off of drums and amps (knocking over cymbals, toms, mics, etc...) at my shows. I'm surprised I haven't broken anything yet. I will be sure to post when that fateful day comes though.