Just Drop It... (NHL)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by High Elbows, Dec 14, 2012.

1. High Elbows

High Elbows

Hey hockey fans, this is a great movement. Take the pledge to refrain from buying any tickets, merchandise, or watching any NHL games after the lockout is over. One game for every game that they "take" from us...
    Watch this video, and like the Facebook page! This is a great way for the fans to be "heard"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRYvUUV20TU
  2. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to buy tickets and am limited to watching any NHL games on cable. I rarely buy NHL merchandise too, but will not buy any. I'll just get hockey merchandise like international hockey team t-shirts.
  3. hbarcat

hbarcat

My friends, family and I all said "bye bye" to the NHL several years ago. Now we go to see Chicago Wolves games a couple times a month, and tickets, parking, food and everything is a fraction of what it costs to see the 'Hawks.
  4. tplyons

tplyons

I've written off the year...
  5. MuinXing

MuinXing

Really though this strike compounded with the one just a few years ago has started a major backlash. There's no way the league will be able to recover at this point.

The league lacks enough teams in canada, has lack of coverage in the states, is retracting teams from some markets, and has many teams that can stay afloat.

Not to mention salary caps which have hit the bigger traditional markets in a nasty way.
  6. corndog

corndog

I have never paid for a ticket to an nhl game, and i've been to plenty. My ticket and merchandise money goes to major junior teams.

I heard today that out of 30 teams, 18 lost money, 4 broke even and 8 made money last year. The nhl is a mess. I give credit to the owners for the pushback on the length of the CBA (the PA wants 5 year term, so we could go through this again in 2017).

Bettman has built a house of cards, and the wind is starting to blow.
  7. MuinXing

MuinXing

Meh the reality is that the business is growing. The probably is that the costs are out pacing costs. The failure of bettman was trying to cover the entire united states. He would of been far more better off focusing his attention outside the sunbelt. The fact that portland, milwaukee, kansas city, seattle etc are without teams is a total disaster.

That's ignoring the fact that the Leafs are choking the best hockey region in the world. The area could easily support 2-4 teams.
  8. corndog

corndog

Your right on the Leafs strangling the largest and richest market in Canada.

As much as Canada supports this league, Bettman continues to ignore Canada because the tv audience just isn't there.

Quebec City and Halifax could easily support teams (as Winnipeg has) as well.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I gave up on the NHL when they cancelled the Winter Classic. So many thousands of people are now adversely affected by those boners arguing over billions of dollars. The total disregard for fans is unacceptable. Unfortunately, tens of thousands of fans will flock to the games and buy gear as soon as the lockout ends. The NHL and NHLPA both know this, so they don't care about the lockout affecting fans.

I threw away my Penguins lanyard, and Penguins beanies. I'm saving my Winnipeg Jets beanie and hat though since those have the original logo and you can't find them anymore unless you get reproduced ones.

Watch the NHL on TV or go to a game? Forget about it. Too much awesome college and junior hockey in this region. I can take my family of three to watch a game between two top 10 teams in the country, park, and have dinner at a nicer restaurant for under $100.

-Mike