1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Just finished this double cut last night (P series Blond Ash/Maple)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nicksorenson, Apr 15, 2014.

1. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

Apr 2, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

These have been in the works for a few years now and finally getting them out there. I wish I could keep this one. Features a Rocketfire late 50's Precision pickup, nitro finish, vintage single action truss rod, threaded saddle bridge and a comfortable low action with lots of punch. This is the best overdriven bass tone I've heard in a long time... something about the combination is really working!

aphexafx, Hank Scorpio and mark beem like this.
  2. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Jan 27, 2013
    Very cool! Did you make that? Nice job

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. darkbass

darkbass Gold Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Disclosures:
    Product Osiamo Dist: Mooer + Taurus Pedals + Dr.J + Big Foot Pedals
    How much does it weigh?

5. Nice.

The term "double-cut" is kind of amusing.

6. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2000
    Tennessee
    Yeah, that kind of threw me a curve too. It is , but maybe he didn't want to get bashed by the P bass haters . *very* nice bass. Elegant simplicity.

7. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Tidewater
    Generally not a fan of white basses, but that is a beauty! Nice job!

8. juuuuust enough grain showing thru
    very nice

9. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

Apr 2, 2008
    Missouri
    Great question! I'll have to weigh it. It's pretty light. I used a light weight one piece Swamp Ash blank for cutting this body. Most of the electrics I've made with these blanks landed in the 7 lb range (which is pretty light for an S or T). It's not so light that the neck dives (which can happen with the big old reverse winding vintage keys).

Thanks a lot for the comments guys!
    Nick

and to RedJ, Ha ha "pbass haters", is there such a thing! It's hard to not love the tone of a good Precision! I saw them and thought they were only one sound when I was first learning to play so I bought a Jazz (and still use a J as my main bass almost 20 years later), but looking back I was right... there is only that one sound BUT it's QUITE a sound! I think it's the Tele of the bass world. Not as many options and pretty simple but it's darn hard to improve on what they do.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  10. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Nice Work. Love the Trans White finish with the Maple board!

11. wisconsindead

wisconsindead Supporting Member

May 16, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    beautiful. love that color

12. darkbass

darkbass Gold Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Disclosures:
    Product Osiamo Dist: Mooer + Taurus Pedals + Dr.J + Big Foot Pedals
    How much does that bass $treet for?

13. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

Apr 2, 2008
    Missouri
    PM'd you and thanks.

14. Very nice look - clean, simple, formidable. Good work.

15. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2000
    Tennessee
    Well, not exactly, it was a tongue in cheek comment. There has been some P bass bashing, but in the history of TB, what hasn't been ? I will admit, though, I started on a P bass and hated it, but have come full circle. I had a Red J when I signed on to TB . Now I should be Red P.

16. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

Apr 2, 2008
    Missouri
    Red J, I think they're both good tools to have. I think if I could have one bass, it'd be a J. So many good sounds. If I could have 3 basses:
    -Maple neck P
    -Madagascar RW J
    -76 Maple/Ash MM Stingray

All of those crank out some of the best bass tones known to mankind (IMO).

I guess I'd have to add duplicates of all those in 5 strings and then in fretless variants... Wow! that list grows fast doesn't it. Right now I have a J with frets and a fretless that my son has claimed as his own but I play it all the time. Both are left overs/scraps from builds and not worth much but dearly loved.