1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Just got a Fender P Blacktop. Thought it would be beefier.d

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Simononstyle, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Simononstyle

Simononstyle

Any comments on the Blacktop or help on improving the sound. Maybe I'm just not used to new guitars !!!
  2. capncal

capncal

try cranking your amp to 11.
  3. Simononstyle

Simononstyle

Yeah tried that but I usually play at 12 so couldn't hear it..
  4. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

Changing the strings maybe? Raising the pups a bit?
  5. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

beefier than what?

what kind of amp are you using?
  6. Simononstyle

Simononstyle

My first step is changing the stings, although E is beefy the the rest are ringing a bit..
  7. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Have you given it a proper setup and adjusted the pickup height?
  8. Simononstyle

Simononstyle

Using a Marshall practice at the moment . Have had it full pelt with a peavey in practice rooms. I maybe just need to get used to the sound.
  9. MrMolding

MrMolding

I put a pair of NOS Schaller PBXs (Dimarzio Model P Clones) in mine with DR High Beams and it sounds very boomy and rich. Just amazed at the difference.
  10. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

I have one and I really like the tone. My bandmates do too. Especially when I play it loud through my full stack.
  11. rubbadubdub

rubbadubdub

It's a shame they didnt put a pair of mm type pups in there. That set up sounds awesome. I would have thought what amounts to four j pickups should be pretty large sounding though. If you fitted two sets of Duncan quarter pounders you would get a huge tone but it would be expensive and there's no guarantee that you would like the tone. If it were my bass I would consider routing it for two Wilkinson mm pups. Awesome tone for very low cost. A little drastic though on such a nice bass otherwise.
    Heavier strings make a big difference. Maybe try some chromes or Fender flats. I was amazed when I put some 40-100 gauge Fender flats on my P bass. Very thick and fat tone. I imagine even more so with the heavier gauge set.
  12. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

13. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Cut the tone back a bit,they can be clangy full open.
    Listen to Green Day to see what I mean