Just got Ampeg SVT II

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bri450r, Nov 26, 2012.

1. bri450r

bri450r

I got an Ampeg SVT II and was wondering if buying my own tube tester was worth it. If so, could you point me in the right direction? Also, the cage/screen on the back is missing and is that a big deal? If so... Thanks. AND...I see that most players with these amps seem to use the Ampeg 8x10 but that is too much in one. Is two 4X10's just as effective? Thanks again.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Buying your own tube tester probably isn't worth it unless you plan on getting serious about doing your own repairs. Bad or dead tubes usually make themselves pretty apparent.

The screen...I don't believe the 2 Nonpro came with a screen originally.

810e vs two 410's? About the same if you get two SVT 410he's. But to make them the same, you can disconnect the tweeter and crossover. The 810e and 410he use the same speakers, but the tweeter crosses over at a slightly lower point than the speakers can deliver (4k vs 5k). So if you run no tweeter/crossover, they sound pretty much identical to me. Still, I'd rather have the 810e. Yes, it's bigger, but it's actually easier to move around than two 410's, and you can use leverage to get it up on stages rather than having to deadlift.

3. Alex1984

Alex1984

Early 2 non-pros didn't have a screen, later ones did, until the point they discontinued it. Did yours have plastic knobs with a line or metal knobs with a dot? Removable or fixed power cord? You'd wanna make sure your amp runs at 4 ohms, aside from that, you should be fine.

4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

The thing about Ampeg 4-10's is that there are so many kinds. Some are sealed and sound a lot like the 8-10. Some are ported ans use different drivers. They don't sound anything like the standard sealed 8-10. So, as long as you get a 4-10 that is set up like the 8-10's, you'll be fine with two of those (or one for smaller gigs). There won't be a ton of difference in the tone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bri450r

bri450r

Metal knobs with a dot, and a fixed power chord. Thanks for the advice so far.

7. stiles72

stiles72

Great amp! Personally I'd prefer to move one fridge (810/215) as opposed to having to dead lift (2) 410's. The fridge has casters, skid rails, and the grab bar making it much easier to move than most people think.

8. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

I'd also consider the Ampeg 610. It's a good compromise between the power of the 810 and the portability of a 410. It is ported with a tweeter though, so you won't get all of that sealed 810 tone.

9. bri450r

bri450r

I was actually thinking of a 4x10 and a 1x15. So far this head is the shiznit. It does everything and I am just beating up my 15 year old Randall 4x10.

10. haystack55

haystack55 Supporting Member

congrats! my non-pro and I shall NEVER be parted. currently I run mine with a shelf-ported Emperor 6x10 and it is a thunderous combination. I've used it with most of the other Ampeg cabs and have found all of them to be great in their own way. the 610 HLF is great, but the Fridge is where it's always seemed to be most at home tone-wise.

11. Alex1984

Alex1984

Metal knob with dot + fixed cord = early production, so no back grill is standard. I made the mistake of selling one off once. Regretted it immediately, and was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to buy another back.

12. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

I am having a great time with mine, running through an Aguilar DB810. Just ridiculous!

A tube tester isn't necessary, IMO. Just get 'er a matched sextet of 6550's every few years, and keep 'er biased properly. And rawk!

13. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Why ?

It's not a good combination.

14. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

What he means to say is, you should get two matching cabs instead. Either two 1x15, or two 4x10, not one of each.

15. Loki182

Loki182 Soundtrack '96 Supporting Member

Media:
    i have a SVT-II non-pro also and an older (late 70's Ampeg 810) i just got a bergie NV610 so I am going to put my 810 on craigslist. Let me know if you are interested. Pittsburgh isn't far from you.

16. bri450r

bri450r

Okay, I can take good advice and will either get two 4x10's or the fridge. That thing is just soooo big. Dang. Thanks for the info Alex. Loki, let me know how much, I work in the 'burgh.

17. bri450r

bri450r

Is there any way to tell what year it is? I thought it was early 90's but I think I am wrong. no big deal, but just curious.

18. Alex1984

Alex1984

I'd put my money on late 80s. I'd also pick the fridge if you can manage the move.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  20. Sartori

Sartori

The fridge is not that big. I mean, yeah, it's big, but there are more unwieldy cabs.

21. Alex1984

Alex1984

Yeah, the 810's definitely not the worst you can do in terms of mobility.