Just got an Fdeck!!!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by klem.gote, Dec 9, 2013.

1. klem.gote

klem.gote

Disclosures:
    Bass Player
    Now, not knowing much about how things work, I'd like to get the most out of it. I just started using a GK MB500 head (which I'm liking so far), mostly into a Wizzy 12. I've read that in some cases it might be better to go in through the Effects channel rather than straight into the head. True in this case? Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

2. klem.gote

klem.gote

Disclosures:
    Bass Player
    By the way, it's the Series 3.

3. M0ses

M0ses

In the case of the amp, it shouldn't effectively make much difference, but you might save some headroom in the preamp if you put the hpf before that

4. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Additionally, according to the specs page in the manual, the input impedance of the GK MB500 is 1M Ohms. If you want the 10M Ohms that the FDeck provides, you'll need to insert it between the bass and the preamp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. klem.gote

klem.gote

Disclosures:
    Bass Player
    And I'm assuming I DO want the 10m Ohms, yes?

I'm sorry, I think most people understand these things better than I do. I'll never be mistaken for any kind of engineer, and will probably never really understand what happens between my pickup and my speaker. I apologize if some of my questions aren't the brightest ever posed here. Just trying to glean some kind of rudimentary info that might help me to help my sound. Thanks!!

7. Clarkybass

Clarkybass Supporting Member

The fdeck will impedance match any piezo pickup but doesn't have EQ (as you know!) so best would be bass>fdeck>main input (not effects send/return cuircuit). That way you get all the benefit of the fdeck (impedance matching, cutting subsonic boominess, controlling feedback with phase switch) and the EQ options of your amp to fine-tune the tone.

8. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Okay, remember that the fdeck does not perform impedance matching. See here.

Headroom? Well, more available dynamic range. See here.

Finally, they are infrasonics. "Subsonic" refers to below the speed of sound.

I feel better now. :)

9. klem.gote

klem.gote

Disclosures:
    Bass Player
    Hi guys, and thanks!! I feel better now too. Now I have a better idea of what to do and how to start using this. I got my GK MB500 just in time to turn it on for a gig on Sat. (and I liked it), but now I'll be able to play around with that a bit and now the Fdeck. Looking forward to it. Thanks again!!

Tom

10. funkythumb

funkythumb

Disclosures:
    Endorser Sadowsky string, A-Designs P1,La Bella, Bee Basses,Mike Lull
    I'm trying to order a Series 2 Fdeck. I went to Francis's page. At the bottom there is simply a link that takes you straight to Paypal. Is that it? You just pay for it and it shows up?

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Yup, that is how mine came. I have a series 3.

12. funkythumb

funkythumb

Disclosures:

Ok thanks! Guess that's it! So you didn't communicate with him before ordering? How long was the wait?
    Thanks

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Didn't exchange a single communication, it came relatively quickly considering it was coming internationally.

14. funkythumb

funkythumb

Disclosures:
    Just ordered mine!! thanks for the info :)

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    That's how it works! However, I can see that it's pretty puzzling, and I'll take a look at my website to see if I can make it better. The good news is that PayPal actually makes all of this work really smoothly, especially considering that you're dealing with a part time home business.

16. funkythumb

funkythumb

Disclosures:

Thanks for the reply Francis! I was just checking to make sure I didn't leave out anything. I ordered one. I had an upright gig tonight at a corporate function where there was no PA and I was asked to bring extra speakers and play louder to fill the entire room with my backline. I put one cab four feet infront of me facing the audience, one 1x12 cab on my side about two feet away with a small 1x10 cab on top of that facing me. I and everyone else could hear me. Tone was good. On ballads with sustained notes, the 'ol feedback goul reared it's ugly head. I was on a raised stage. I didn't have the chance for a sound check. Maybe Ishould have put the cabs on crates to raise them off the ground. Was tough to find the offending frequency with a number of notes triggering the feedback. Any general advice for nipping the feedback by setting things up differently on these loud gigss on small stages?

17. funkythumb

funkythumb

Disclosures:
    Just finished a three hour long shootout with different cabs, amp and pre's for my upright rig. Really enoyed the F deck. The warmest pre of all I tried!

18. drurb

It's interesting that you find the Fdeck to be the warmest, given that it's completely "unvoiced." It's response is essentially ruler flat. Perhaps the other pre-amps you tried are have response anomalies that make them "colder."

19. funkythumb

funkythumb

Disclosures:
    Well Les, I guess that's what the 20meg input impedence might be doing. Ed Friedland's video on the Basswitch showed that different input impedence settings affect tone. In this case, I got more bottom :) as expected. Other units with EQ sections sounded different and were not as warm.

20. Scotty DelMar

Scotty DelMar Supporting Member

Hey Mr. Funkythumb, Would you mind sharing the details of your research? What pickup are you using and dd you settle on some final choices re your optimum rig?

21. drurb

I'm quite sure the Fdeck has a 10 Mohm input impedance. If there was a substantial difference across the pre- amps you tested, then that could certainly explain the differences you heard. That's because they would load the pickup differently. If we're talking about the usual DB pickups, then going above 10 Mohm will not change things much and may have drawbacks.