Just got my Spector Preformer. So far this my take on it.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TUEP, Jan 28, 2014.

1. TUEP

TUEP

Its obviously an older model that had the alder body and the chrome hardware. So I am assuming Chinese made.

Balance is just on the wow factor. The action could use some tweaking nothing major, and I got some new Dean Markley strings coming in tomorrow...so I will give it a good clean up then.

The only thing with the neck is it has a bit of a saw tooth issue. Not to bad, but the frets stick out the top and bottom of the neck a bit. Nothing I can't live with but a smooth neck would be nice. Would a file, or steel wool fix this?

At the moment my practice amp is at my rehersal spot and the only way I could test the electronics was to run the bass into a Behringer BDI-21 into my computer which is hooked up into a home stereo system. The tone was awesome! Yet, seemed a bit hotter than my active ATK-300? The Spector kinda over loaded audacity...lol! How could a passive bass be hotter than an active?
  2. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

You'll most likely need a file for the frets. The guy who does my setups will generally file the ends for an extra $10.
  3. TUEP

TUEP

You know I can live with it....it doesn't seem to bad really. The neck is comfy for the most part. I will just be glad when the new strings get here so I can clean it up and really see what it can do tone wise. The strings on it are old and a bit blah!
  4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Frets edges can be filed down- my new Squier had really sharp ones, but that's really no biggie at all. When I first had my Spector Performer, I was absolutely certain it had to be active as it had more power than my other active basses with the dual humbucker set up. Opened up the cavity and lo and behold, no battery! Sound is great on those... enjoy!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TUEP

TUEP

Just got it back from the tech. The nut needed to be fixed, neck adjusted, frets worked on and input jack needed to be fixed. Not to much though. Now it plays like a champ. Fast low action and a good playing bass.