Just how far can you push a cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by qandb, Dec 4, 2012.

1. qandb

qandb

Hi!

I've been playing a svt4pro through an 810e for a while, but the dreaded mighty leds have kept me from getting the volume i wanted. Today, I've manned up, pressed the "limit defeat" button, cranked up the gain where I wanted it and the master too, and I had an orgasm. FINALLY the volume I wanted, and it sounded GREAT! No farty sound, just pure ampeg growl.

Now, I've cooled down and I feel guilty. I know the svt4pro can effectively destroy my cab. But, if the speakers don't fart, everything's ok, no? So, can I do it again? Please?
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Sure.

Just use common sense. If it sounds like something bad is happening, it probably is.
  3. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

If you dont have your gain set at 3 o'clock and the EQ level set at 80%, and the volume set at 12 o'clock, your not pushing that cab. The versitility of the 4-Pro has so many ways that you can cheat yourself out of power.

I use my 4-pro with an SVT 410HE at 8 Ohms cranked as shown above, with no problems. Same speakers. Again, let your ears tell you when your speakers are barking for relief. I dont think you can hurt that cab, unless it is an old 200 watt cab.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Dont pay any attention to the limited. Your Peak LED is not a "turn down" indicator, it is a "you have appropriate gain" light. Personally I would be pushing the gain right into mild break up, then adjust my volume as needed.

Like this kinda...
  5. qandb

qandb

Thank you all for the replies. I'll just trust my ears then.

About the gain thing, I like the mild overdrive of the preamp, so I like it to peak a bit more then the Ampeg guy in the vid CL400Peavey provided.

Thanks!
  6. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I'm bumping this thread because it's a great topic. I was pretty curious if growl at high volumes would start doing damage eventually. So more input/info would be great.
  7. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

If the growl comes from the speaker over-excursing, then the answer is definitely yes.
    Sooner rather than later no less.

Unlike the guitar speakers that can/should be driven outside their linear range, ie. into distortion, bass speakers in general are destroyed pretty quickly.

If OTOH the growl comes from the amp and the speakers are just reproducing that, they'll last as long as they would with any other program.

People who haven't driven speakers with square wave seem to have almost without exeption the misconception that a square wave-form (or distortion for that matter) by itself would somehow be destructive to the driver.

What a square wave does have over a sine wave is more energy at a given amplitude.
    Obviously.

Regards
    Sam
  8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

The real problem would seem to be that most users can't distinguish "pleasing preamp growl" with speakers being driven past their limits.
  9. NYCbassist

Thanks Sam. Great explanation.

10. NYCbassist

Understood. :) I have always tried to play with just a Smidgen of Growl. I guess some may describe it as "Creamy". Never Farty sounding. I can get growl at relatively low volumes with my Ric & TI Flats. My goal is to keep that tone at Gigs but obviously more volume. We are doing mostly Blues and older Rock/Rhythm & Blues.

Thanks for the Reply. :bassist:
  11. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

With casters, I probably could push a cab... oh, probably a couple of miles.
  12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Push it until it starts sounding expensive.