1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Just how thick is the Fender Steve Harris neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nurnay, Jan 10, 2014.

1. nurnay

nurnay

I'm used to playing a Stingray, which is fairly thick. Is the SH model that much thicker?

2. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yes, and it has a wider nut than your Stingray too. It's simply massive IMO.

3. sobie18

sobie18

She's a handful...and with no neck dive.

4. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

I like stingray and most pbass necks but the steve harris neck is just ridiculously thick, Id stay away from it

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StevieMac

StevieMac

I don’t have a measurement for you but it’s definitely pretty thick front to back. Personally I like it and I have really small hands. Fender specs say its 1 3/4” wide at the nut but mine is 1 5/8”.

I never thought I’d like a neck that thick but I do. My fretting hand seems to get fatigued less and I don’t find it any more difficult to play than my basses that have thinner necks.

I have another pbass that also has a 1 5/8” nut width but is much thinner front to back and for me the Harris neck is WAY more comfortable. YMMV.

It's been a LONG time since I played a stingray so I can't help you with a direct comparison.

7. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

It's thicker than a Stingray but I never found it an issue, if anything I found the SH more comfortable to play.

8. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

I had one of the rare 1 5/8 nut Steve Harris necks and it was one of my favorite P Basses. It was a handful, but a surprisingly comfortable handful. And I have medium sized hands.

9. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Yep they're nice chunky necks that seem to stay in tune for ever. I think the 1 3/4" nuts are actually the rare ones despite the published specs.