1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Just how thick is the Fender Steve Harris neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nurnay, Jan 10, 2014.

1. nurnay

nurnay

I'm used to playing a Stingray, which is fairly thick. Is the SH model that much thicker?
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yes, and it has a wider nut than your Stingray too. It's simply massive IMO.
  3. sobie18

sobie18

She's a handful...and with no neck dive.
  4. BrandonBass

BrandonBass Supporting Member

I like stingray and most pbass necks but the steve harris neck is just ridiculously thick, Id stay away from it
  5. StevieMac

StevieMac

I don’t have a measurement for you but it’s definitely pretty thick front to back. Personally I like it and I have really small hands. Fender specs say its 1 3/4” wide at the nut but mine is 1 5/8”.

I never thought I’d like a neck that thick but I do. My fretting hand seems to get fatigued less and I don’t find it any more difficult to play than my basses that have thinner necks.

I have another pbass that also has a 1 5/8” nut width but is much thinner front to back and for me the Harris neck is WAY more comfortable. YMMV.

It's been a LONG time since I played a stingray so I can't help you with a direct comparison.
  6. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

It's thicker than a Stingray but I never found it an issue, if anything I found the SH more comfortable to play.
  7. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

I had one of the rare 1 5/8 nut Steve Harris necks and it was one of my favorite P Basses. It was a handful, but a surprisingly comfortable handful. And I have medium sized hands.
  8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Yep they're nice chunky necks that seem to stay in tune for ever. I think the 1 3/4" nuts are actually the rare ones despite the published specs.