1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Just how tight was Weather Report

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chuck norriss, Feb 5, 2014.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

This tight.
    http://youtu.be/ehXUyW4-hA8
    I love how they smooth it out for an hour then bust into Teen Town. They cook. Cooked--past tense.

2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Anyone see them live? I've only seen Erskine w his band live but not WR. I also saw Wayne Shorter do a song a few years ago. It was nice he had a very warm reception.

3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

4. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Saw them twice, amazing. One terrific, other worldly band.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Lucky
    other jazz bands that cause euphoria live: Masada/John Zorn, Elvin Jones r.i.p.

7. Wagz

Wagz

No doubt. Great band, great music... in just about every incarnation of the band's lineup.
    Wish I had a time machine, they'd be near the top of my must see list.

8. Bassmanmike1

Bassmanmike1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sittin' In Limbo
    Saw them in 78' at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago. One hot night.

9. tlvernon

tlvernon

Thanks for the link to an awesome video. I forgot how much I liked Jaco. Hard to top that for an electric bass performance.

10. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I saw them a lot in the 70's around NYC, first with Alphonso then with Jaco, to this day those are some of the best concerts I've ever been to. One of the best bands ever. IMHO

11. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

They were as tight as a camels ass in a sand storm.

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Great band. Great chemistry. Great synergy. :cool:

MM

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I saw them in a small college town back in the early 70s ... Pre -Jaco ...

14. lsabina

lsabina Supporting Member

I saw them in Miami around 1983. Jaco wasn't in the band--Victor Bailey was playing. During the encore, this short-haired dude in fatigues comes out onto the stage, taps
    Victor on the shoulder and takes his bass. Obviously, it was Jaco. Within 2 seconds the band picked it up a notch--quite noticeably. it was unbelievable how his presence excited the overall sound, and almost instantly. Wayne was smiling throughout the encore!

15. lsabina

lsabina Supporting Member

I should mention that I saw them a couple of years earlier in Toronto. Jaco was jumping all around and knocked over Wayne's mics. Wayne wasn't smiling.

16. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Strangely enough, in the mid 80's, I used to put on Heavy Weather, and then follow it up with Grateful Dead Reckoning all the time.

Why I felt those two albums went together, we may never know, but all I can say is, TRY IT.

17. headband

headband Supporting Member

I saw them right after Heavy Weather came out, around 1977 or so, at the Kiel Opera House in St. Louis. The opening band was the english group "Caravan". Outstanding performance by WR, Jaco knocked me dead.
    Caravan was interesting as well - played a song "Hoedown" in 7/4 time, but did it in a way that makes you want to dance - people in the audience got up and tried - not prett, lol. Good times back then.

18. JimK

JimK

The expression around these parts is-
    "Tighter than a nun's crotch".

19. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

+1

So tight when they farted, it was in a harmony third.

20. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

I saw them in 1978 at Park West in Chicago. It was a small club and we had great seats. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

Living in Miami, I saw Jaco many times. He was a notorious stage crasher in his later years. The Band had reformed and played a club in Ft. Lauderdale, and during the encore he grabbed one of Danko's basses and joined in. Danko seemed cool with it.

21. ahc

ahc

Tighter than a gnat's P***y. And that's tight!!!

Saw WR in NY at the Palladium, but Jaco had already left the band (and I didn't know that). They were great (with Victor Bailey), but I was bummed ... expecting to see Jaco for my first time. Made up for that by seeing Word of Mouth twice (Lincoln Center and on the pier next to the aircraft carrier Intrepid museum. Also got to see and briefly speak to him in Wash, DC at Blues Alley when he did a trio with Dennis Chambers and Hiram Bullock. Those were the days.