Just joined and I have one simple question...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jessec, Nov 5, 2012.

1. jessec

jessec

Hello all. I am drummer and just completed a music room at the house my wife and I recently bought. I've got all the main components of a nice jam space, but I need a bass amp. As such, I have been hunting craigslist pretty hard these days. Today I found the link below. I know nothing about bass amps. So I am looking for some guidance with this amp. Is this amp any good? Additionally (so I guess I have two questions), if it is, is this price reasonable? I'd like to thank you in advance for all your advice.

http://providence.craigslist.org/msg/3388084326.html

PS: Some specifics to make it easier...the jam space is pretty small. The room is roughly 17' x 12' x 7'. The bass amp will have to compete with a 100 watt Marshall guitar amp and my 5 piece Tama kit. The friends that will inevitably be coming over to jam are rock and roll guys, big fans of Guns n Roses, Zeppelin, The White Stripes (no bass there of course, but you get the idea).

Thanks again!

2. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Looks alright for your purposes.

3. knigel

knigel Supporting Member

I actually owned that amp, and the guy I sold it to seemed pretty legit (like not an abusive guy). I always liked the sound out of it, but that's a personal preference. Was real solid the whole time I owned it, and I can tell you for a fact he is selling it for 1/2 what he paid for it (don't tell him I told you).

Shouldn't have a problem keeping up in a jam space--in my band I have not trouble with this piece of crap Yorkville combo that I leave in my space.

4. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

+1 --- AGREE ! That is a good price, and should be very adequate for a small "jam" space

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jlepre

jlepre

That 100 watts guitard amp might be a problem. Even in a small space, that will be WAY louder than a 150 watt bass amp.

7. nickrs540

nickrs540

That's probably going to be a bit less then you are going to need for your situation. If the volume is what I think it is going to be you will need at least two 15s (if that is the route you want to go), and alot more watts.

I'd say minimum 300w and at least 2x15s, 4x10s(I wouldn't recommend this type of cab), or 2x12s etc etc.

Unless you don't care about hearing yourself that great then it might work, but you will be craving more soon enough.

PS I really like head room just in case. My 4x12 2000w rig ain't enough for me sometimes....I might be a bit biased twoards loud :D

8. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd flip the marshall for a 35-65 watt fender/marshall/vox combo

9. jessec

jessec

Why is that? I have heard others say similar things before. As such, I was looking for a bass amp that had more watts than the guitar amp. Sounds like you're saying a mere 50 more watts isn't enough compensation. Another responder below said I'd need 300 watts in the space I described. I'm all for that, unfortunately I don't have much money to spend...

10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    ditch the big guitar amp. Look for something 30-50 watts max with a single 12" speaker. Take the proceeds from your sale and add that to your bass rig. Shopping used is the way to go and I would be looking for a 410 or 215 and 300-500 watts.

30-50 watts on guitar can be insanely loud. The frequency band the interment occupies needs much less power than bass to be loud.

11. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Well... CAN be. If the guitarist is considerate it doesn't HAVE to be. But yeah... You know how that goes.

12. jessec

jessec

The Marshall 100 amp isn't going anywhere. My brother, who will be the predominate player of it, has given it a whirl and he loves it. He's considerate though, so he won't deliberately be drowning anyone out.

13. jlepre

jlepre

Then you will need more than the combo listed above. 300 watts min.

14. bearhart74

bearhart74

I agree with the inability of a 150 watt bass combo to hang with a 100 watt marshal. it all depends on how loud the guy wants to be. If he can control himself you'll have no issues but if he cant (read won't) then your only recourse is to get more watts and more speaker

15. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I disagree. I play in a room twice the size of what the OP
    mentioned with a drummer and a guitardist playing thru a
    twin reverb using a 180 watt 1x15 combo (ashdown) It
    is friggin' loud (very loud).

Depending on what bass I use it has never been turned up
    past 3/4. I used to use a Hartke 3500 with a 1x15 and 2x10
    cabs and it never went past 1. That was a 350 watter.

I am surprised at all the advise for HUGE amps for small
    application. He's playing in a music room not Madison Square
    Garden.

He doesn't have to hang with a 100 watt Marshall because
    that Marshall isn't going to be cranked.

16. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

+1 about the guitar amp. Even something like a little Peavey Classic 30 combo will cut your head off in a small rehearsal space.

17. morgansterne

morgansterne

I played through an ampeg b3 amp as my main for probably five years. I absolutely love the tone of it but even in practices bandmembers across the room would tell me they had trouble hearing me.
    For $150, go for it, but be aware that you'll likely be turning it up pretty high to be heard.
    Also, I had some problems with it, input jack going flakey, another time opamps blew and had to be replaced. But I continued to get it repaired because it sounded awesome.

18. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

The sad truth is that bass rigs are big for a reason. I wouldn't even think of owning a bass amp with fewer than 500 watts or commercially produced bass cabinets containing fewer than two 15" speakers or four 10" speakers. Not if I intended to play the kind of music you're talking about with a 100w Marshall guitar amp next to me.

19. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

You guys are out of your minds. :rollno: :p

20. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I've seen guitar players with 12" combo amps absolutely crush 500w/810 bass rigs like grapes. I've also seen guitar players with Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier half stacks who you can play with using a 15" Peavey combo amp.

All I know is I've been on the wrong side of that equation too many times.

21. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It should be plenty for a 200 ft[SUP]2[/SUP] space. But 100 watts of guitar is WAAAY too much for that space.