1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Just moved to Tucson, anyone here?

Discussion in 'Social Events & GTG's [BG]' started by svt1233, Oct 15, 2012.

1. svt1233

svt1233

Hey guys,
    I recently moved to Tucson for school at UA. I'm majoring in Music and actually am posting here because I am looking for a new axe, one that will really fit me and would be of use to me through this program and over the years. I'm in the market to spend more money on a bass because majoring in this is a pretty big deal and I would be playing many hours a day. My dilemma: I have pretty much never tried any basses other than the fenders, rays, schecters and occasional used warwicks etc. at guitar center. I have heard nothing but praises from people who use sadowsky, lull, Roscoe, Fbass and other high end brands (especially vintage fenders, look possibly at 70's jazzes). I have looked into the possibility of getting one tailored for me personally if I plan on doing this, or buying one used.

So what I mean to ask here today is, are there any chill bassists here in Tucson that have many basses of various higher end brands that could afford me the opportunity to try some out? I want to form an opinion on getting a custom bass but as of late cannot.

Thanks,
    Ben :bassist:
  2. kokorollc

kokorollc Supporting Member

I was born in Tucson but now live in Wisconsin. Was a music major in college years back. What kind of stuff will you be playing? Fretted, fretless, 4,5,6? Any preference on sound, neck shape? Do you want/need 24 fret? There are a lot of very nice used basses that come across this site regularly. I would narrow down your preferences and look here. A reputable builder with a fairly traditional style will always hold more resale too than a one off custom. You could probably buy a used Sadowsky/Lakland and play it for awhile then sell it and not lose any money. Just a thought
  3. svt1233

svt1233

No no, that's exactly what I need to find out. I'm not here asking to buy a used instrument, I'm wanting to meet up with someone that has good instruments I haven't played let me play them, so that I may formulate an opinion. And then possibly buy one.
  4. kokorollc

kokorollc Supporting Member

No that's cool. I understand. You just mentioned possibly having something built. Was just pointing out there's some great stuff here and some good deals when your ready. I was just seeing if you had any specifics that would help people here make some recommendations
  5. svt1233

svt1233

It's all good, that's what I'm looking to get man, an idea of what I want.
  6. svt1233

svt1233

7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Hey svt1233, I don't have any high-end equipment and am a lefty anyway.
    You might head over to Rainbow Guitars on Campbell Ave. north of Grant they usually have a decent selection though I don't know if you will find anything exotic.

Welcome to Tucson!
  8. svt1233

svt1233

Thanks man. Yeah i've been there. They've basic got the regular fender/ EBMM/ and the occasional ric. I did spot a danelectro and an old gibson ripper(?)
  9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Not surprising. Tucson is not the end of the musical universe but you can kinda see it from here. :D

There are probably better options up in Phoenix.
  10. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

If you find yourself in the West Valley (Phoenix) stop by The Bass Place. Besides having the usual Fender/G&L/Wick mix, they have a decent selection of boutique instruments. Lee has always treated me well when I'm there.
  11. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Isn't Ed Friedland in Tucson?
  12. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

I believe he moved to Austin, TX.
  13. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I believe you are correct.
  14. svt1233

svt1233

I'll be going to phoenix tomorrow through saturday so I'll have to scope some stuff out then.
  15. Basshappi

Basshappi

Yep, Ed moved to Austin a few years ago.
  16. preside

preside

Hey SVT, Welcome to AZ. As someone mentioned you must go to TheBassPlace, check out the web site to see what they have and carve out an hour or so to play some real nice bass guitars. They are real cool guys.
  17. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

I moved from Tucson to MD in 2007 - got my MBA at the UofA. Rainbow guitars is the best shop in town - right near the U on Campbell, 1 block north of Grant. Tell Denny I sent you.
  18. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

+1 on The Bass Place. I'm in Southern New Mexico and I make it a point to spend a weekend in the Phx area at least once a year so I can check out what they have. Yes, I always make a purchase of some kind :) It's a 6 hour drive for me, but it is so worth it.
  19. svt1233

svt1233

And who should I say sent me?

Wow that's quite a commitment. Yeah I was up there during thanksgiving and it was really nice. I almost walked out with one of Lee's used modulus' :hyper:
  20. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

There's not much where I live. The local shops have Squiers, Ibanez', Schecters and Fenders, and the nearest GC is an hour away. For that extra 5 hours' drive I can be in the beauty of the Sonoran desert, eat some decent food, and check out the only bass specialty store that I know of in the southwest.