Just out of curiosity - Ibanez Prestige vs Premium

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pudgychef, Dec 15, 2013.

1. pudgychef

pudgychef

Just wondering if anyone has A/B compared a Prestige and Premium level Ibanez basses....like an ATK 800 vs 1200 or the Soundgear equivalents.

Not pondering a purchase so 'go try both and see what you like' isn't required..strictly looking for opinions and discussion

:bassist:

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Some say there is no difference, even if they own both Prestige and Premium basses.

Well in MY HOLY OPION ( :p ) I do think there is a sound difference. SR Prestige 500x is more snappier sounding and a has a bit more high than the SR Premium 120x. SR Prestige has a lot of Wenge wood on it : fretboard, 5 pcs Wenge / Bubinga neck, Wenge top and back on the body. And don't forget the custom weird Bartolini pickups. So yes, I do think that the SR Prestige sounds different than the SR Premium.

But then again, who am I? :p

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I haven't had the opportunity to play any of the Premiums yet, but I owned an sr3005 Prestige for awhile, and it was one heckuva bass: extremely well made, played perfectly, and sounded great, too - besides being quite easy on the eyes... I would probably still have it, except it was a bit polite in a band mix, and I needed something a little more aggressive at the time - so, I sold it for a profit, and used the proceeds to partially fund an EBMM SR5 HH... Anyways, here's a pic:

[​IMG]

- georgestrings

4. pudgychef

pudgychef

gorgeous bass George.

I had the chance to play a Premium SDGR as well as the ATK - both were awfully nice basses, well made...the whole bit.

Would love to try a Prestige, just to feel firsthand what the difference is...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Thanks - that pic doesn't do it justice, either... Let's put it this way - I would buy another, sight unseen - and I'm fairly picky...

- georgestrings

7. grendle

grendle

I don't care for what they did with the neck on the 5's. I'm pretty sure with the prestige, it has a Wierd Jackson wanna be neck radius kind of thing going on. Good neck and I could see people liking it, and at least their doing something new. That's the only thing from me taking it home. I got good useable tones at all settings with it. They don't let you go too far with it though which is kinda cool because you know it always sounds good.

8. grendle

grendle

Beautiful bass. Love the flowing grain on that one. Always liked their inlays too.

9. Tristan

Tristan

When I compared in store, the Premiums stood up very well. I maybe even prefered the tone.

I ordered a Premium, had to exchange it, and then had to return the replacement. There were some pretty gross things going on with wood/electronics.

There are some nice Premiums, but definitely try before you buy. Good value if you find a nice one though.

10. Warmuth

Warmuth Supporting Member

I can't recall anyone arguing there isn't a sound difference between them, they're completely different electronically. One isn't better than the other in that regard, they're simply two different sounding bass models.

I'd imagine that prestige models have a bit more attention to detail during the build process but it doesn't go much further than that. I preferred the premium over the prestige mainly due to tone, I just think it sounds better. It's also quite a bit lighter but I'm sure that can vary quite a bit from bass to bass.

I wouldn't have any problem paying the money for a prestige model if I liked the way they sounded and even given that I thought the prestige sounded better than every other bass I've played except for the premium. In absolute build quality the prestige just ever slightly is better than the premium and likely more consistently made but a good premium stands toe to toe with them. In my case the premium won out but I think either model is a solid and rational choice.