1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Just out of curiosity

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by msaone, Mar 6, 2014.

1. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    How did we end up with 410 being our standard while guitar players got the 412?

Maybe I should just be happy our standard wasn't a 415. Who'd want to carry that?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Ampeg's 810 was very popular but many people didn't want to lug an 810, so some cut them in half. After a while, cab companies started offering them, and they caught on because you could get maximum speaker area in a relatively small cab with 10"s.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

Feb 3, 2013
    Texas
    We're minimalists with typically less strings and smaller speakers. Seriously though, I think the 10's were more tight, punchy and handle low end frequencies very well. I prefer 15's simply due to volume on stage. I "feel" the 15's better than I can the 10's. I'm not about to get into a volume war on stage with 2 guitar players (although I know I could win). So I tend to feel the floor vibrate, and I can't quite explain it but I can even "feel" if I play out of key (not that I've ever done that, LOL).

5. I think volume is justa twist of the wrist but yeah 15's definitely give away more vibration onstage. IMHO 10's have more presence.

not to change the subject but

I tried running outta my tech 21 without an amp or cab the other night and I hated it. IEM are crazy enough but hey, you gotta have some vibration n movement of air going. the rest of the band agreed. It was strange without it.

6. catgut

catgut

Jan 15, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Hmmm. That settles it. Everyone should try a 410 x 115 combo. Sounds perfect.:bag:

7. Marko5657

Marko5657

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I prefer this 4x10 for guitar.

[​IMG]

8. Marko5657

Marko5657

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Bass, I’ve gigged 1x15 (combo), 2x12, 4x10 and two 4x10s, but I’ve not gigged this 2x15 yet, but I thinks that’s my favorite configuration.

[​IMG]

9. That's one of my favourite things about playing bass. Not only can you hear it but you can physically FEEL it.

10. My guitard has one of those. A couple of rehearsals ago it broke down, meaning it makes a wild, loud and reverberated schreeching noise.
    Gave "tube screamer" a whole new meaning to me.

11. GretschBassist

GretschBassist

Nov 11, 2012
    412 or actually 2 x 212 for bass all the way. THE perfect mix. Punchy, low and loud. What else could you ask for? #gkneo

12. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    i went to a (2)12 setup for a while, but have come back around to (2) 2x10's (vertically stacked)
    Ultimately I like the responsiveness and cut of the 10's better.
    I also played a (2) 15 setup on gigs, but it was harder to cut through with it, even though I did feel it more.

13. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Lol! The only actual answer. Not much more to be said anyways.

/thread

14. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA

+1 - my 412 is not going anywhere