1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Just pulled the trigger on a Epi Jack Casady Ltd Ed... CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO COME.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Just bought an Epiphone Jack Casady Limited Edition.. I'm really pumped! My main bass is a crazy frankenjazz (search "Jazzborghini" and you'll find it)... and well long story short, my birthday is coming up so I decided to treat myself to a new bass. Initially I wanted to put together a P-bass or something, but after seeing the gorgeous silverburst... I was SOLD! I know these basses are very highly regarded here. I'll post pictures as soon as I have it!
    I plan to pickup some hipshot ultralites and a hipshot bridge as well.
    [​IMG]

2. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Nice! I've been eyeing these myself. Love the way they sound.

3. GM60466

GM60466

That's not a bad looking color. Is the neck all black?

4. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

Congratulations!! I absolutely love mine - that pickup is a monster and the tone control works very well to give it many nice, clear sounds. I'm happy with the stock bridge and tuners so I see no reason to swap them out, but YMMV of course. What I like best though is how it sounds unplugged - exactly how a semi-hollow body should sound to my ear.

I don't like the stock strings however (Epi uses D'addario or Ernie Ball rounds as stock strings) because I like flats better, but rolling off the the knob gives the bass a close-enough-to-flats sound for me.

Let us know when you get it and what you think.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bowthing

bowthing

Glad to hear people like them. I'm saving up for a black one after seeing Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic and the Sound City crew play one all night in Park City a few weeks ago. I found myself checking it out more than Stevie Nicks, in fact! It sounded great too.

7. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Black Hipshot Supertone bridge, black Hipshot ultralight tuners and black Rotosound tape wound strings. The silverburst has grown on me. With these mods, awesome.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
  9. zazz

zazz

Get a good setup that includes super gluing the posts in their holes and this bass is playing way above its league on the price you paid for it.

10. banikek

banikek Supporting Member

I picked up a JC used recently. You will love it. I put the Hipshot bridge on it and it helped to tame the neck dive plus made set up a snap. I did have to glue the posts in tho. Lets see more pics when you get the new hardware mounted.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    What kind of glue have you guys used on the posts? I have used a fast drying cement paste in the past.

12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

I doubt they're either of those two companies - I got a JC Silverburst as my Xmas present, and within 10 minutes I was getting the "Nasty Black Smudge" on my fingertips... and I have the opposite of string-killing acidic hands (I can go months with Steels unchanged at about 80% of Zing! remaining.) I also had the same reaction when I purchased... and quickly returned an Epiphone Special Edition Silverburst Thunderbird a few years ago. Generally some low-a** funky strings! (which I quickly switched over to my fretted bass D'Addario ProSteels, which I figured were close enough to Jack's recommendation of Dean Markley Blue Steels)

Dude, get out of my head! with the Black-on-Black hardware concept for the Silverburst! ;) You could go either way with it, but I'm generally a black hardware guy anyway, and if I'm going to be upgrading those parts I'd rather match to the 'burst & added black parts than the Chrome. When I told my Tech I was going in that direction, he practically shouted "Oh my god, you have to do that!!" :p

Whafrodamus, this Bass is truly Beauty and The Beast! The interesting thing about you wanting a P-Bass before this is that I personally find that when I'm using my Casady in "Electric" (aka Vari-tone @ "500", Tone full and Roundwounds) it's pretty close to the fullness of a P but with more mids than I typically hear in them. But roll the Tone back, go to "50" and playing with flats or a light touch and you can easily do an Acoustic Set with it. I've got some truly nice basses, but I believe the Jack Casady Signature has them all beat for sheer usefulness! :D

13. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

What is the front to back profile on these necks? I thought I might not like the wide neck, but recently Got a Peavey Super Ferrite Fury with 1 11/16 nut width but slim from front to back and I actually like it.

14. tony moore

tony moore

i use fender black tapes on my sunburst casady and love them. they're pretty bright for tapes, which i dig. deep but detailed and kill with a pick.

15. ggunn

ggunn

I wish there was a 5 string version of that bass.

16. subbasshz

subbasshz

17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

...I wish there was a fretless. :crying:

18. zazz

zazz

Thinking about just defretting it but the blocks would screw up that idea....it really needs a new ebony fingerboard ... I think that would sound amazing.

Or maybe just epoxy over the blocks.....yeah!

19. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

I asked Gibson if there was any chance of them making this lefty- "no plans at this time". :(

20. oboylebass

oboylebass

Seems like one of the few basses out there that would work well played lefty, no? Just mod the nut. Could even take it to a luthier to change the placement of the knobs if you really wanted to.

21. dlmarquez

dlmarquez

Me too! Anyone done a conversion job yet?