1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Just put in DiMarzio Ultra Jazz's - brief review

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by socknroll1, May 17, 2012.

1. socknroll1

socknroll1

I didn't want to add this to the "best jazz bass pups" thread because I am no authority on the subject. But I did want to share because I'm really happy with these.

Background:
    I was a die-hard P-bass guy for years. Finally got an American Std Jazz Bass (see avatar) in Feb 2011. I loved it but the hum was really bad at my apartment, and I couldn't shake the feeling that there was a "thin-ness" to the sound as well. I like passive pickups. Shopped around and found great reviews for these, decided to give them a try.

Results:
    Just what I was hoping for! No hum. More bass and low-mids. Using both pickups, it sounds like a really nicely EQ'd Jazz Bass. Using the neck pickup, it can cop P-Bass tones much easier than before. And the bridge pickup solo'd finally gives me something usable - didn't dig it at all before.

This baby is truly my #1 from here on out. All the sounds I need in a playable, balanced bass. I'm so psyched. Thx for reading.

2. MSIMSBASS

MSIMSBASS

I love them they sound modern and vintage at the same time! Great bang for the buck!

3. socknroll1

socknroll1

I don't think true vintage purists would be happy with them. They are a little high output for that. But DiMarzio makes pickups for that purpose.

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Because it is also humbucking, this is the pickup I use in my P/J configuration, and I've found nothing better for this particular configuration in the 36+ years I've played bass. The tone, output and humbucking match a P-pickup perfectly.

Yes, the Jazz bass "purists" or "traditionalists" don't approve, but if you're playing a P/J configuration, you're not doing that scene, anyway, unless you have another Jazz bass.

Here's mine, with fanned frets:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/different-custom-p-style-bass-755914/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

I've got a pair in my Carvin LB70, and love 'em! I'm into the active sound, and don't care a whit about hewing to the traditional Jazz Bass vibe, so none of that is an issue for me.

The Ultra Jazz - especially with a quality preamp - have just a wonderful modern, active tone: deep, wide, clean, refined and polished...with a certain sweetness and sparkle in the upper frequencies - no harshness or honk whatsoever.

Yummy! :cool:

MM

7. takeout

takeout

Are you guys wiring these up series or parallel?

8. kedo

kedo

I tried the stock pu's in my avri 62 jazz, and Fender CS60's, before trying out some Ultras. I love 'em!

9. dave64o

dave64o A legendarily low talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for that review. I finally acquired all the parts I needed to Frankenstein a fretless SX Jazz I'm not using into a fretted parts bass (only the original body will remain! :eek:). It's getting a set of Ultra Jazz's that will be matched up with a 4-band Audere preamp.

Sound like Ultra's be what I was hoping they'd be.

10. Mystic Michael

Parallel

MM

11. Mystic Michael

Ooh, that's going to sound very nice. Your onboard electronics will be first-rate. :cool:

MM

12. David Grunigen

David Grunigen

Anyone know how these would work in a Jazz with S-1 switching?

13. dave64o

dave64o A legendarily low talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting this project underway. My only problem is that lately I've had so much going on that I haven't been able to get to the luthier's shop during his working hours to drop off all the parts. This bass will be a complete mutt built almost entirely from used parts I bought here on TB and I'm getting really antsy waiting to see how it finally turns out. :p

I also put a very similar 4-band Audere (which I also bought used her on TB! :D) in a Tobias Toby Pro 4 earlier this year and I was VERY happy with the results. Even with the original Tobias pickups it sounds great, plus the 4-bands of EQ and the Z-mode switch give it endless versatility.

14. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    well, i'm a purist and i really like them too. (i have them in two of my basses- a jazz bass and a jaguar bass)
    i wire each one in series (as they're intended to be) and then in parallel to the pots (or a switch).

if you want a vintage tone out of them, IME, all you have to is run your tone control down to about 50% to cut their 'more sparkly than stock' top end. IMO, they really aren't that high of an output pickup either, since my stock p basses have more output.

15. famousbirds

famousbirds

I've had Ultra Jazzes in my main squeeze Jazz bass for a couple years now, and they're eminently usable pickups. Not what I would choose for a "vintage" sound or feel, but still very much a Jazz bass (with plenty of gas in the tank).

Recently just installed an Audere preamp, and wow! It really opened them up. I think you'll be quite happy with that setup. That P-bass tone is easier than ever to cop...

16. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    OK, so please define "vintage" sounding pickups? Everyone has a different opinion for what that means. And the 60s pickups were wound a lot hotter and use different wire than the 70s pickups, but they are both vintage. But one is a lot brighter than the other. And even the 60s basses were bright. So how is that vintage and not modern? It's all what you do with them. :)

17. famousbirds

famousbirds

Well, fair enough, that's my entirely subjective impression of "vintage". But I think of "vintage" as lower-output, bright, detailed mids, and dynamic, with a subdued, tight bass. Vintage pickups you can really dig in and get a dramatic range of tones.

The Ultra Jazzes feel more "modern", which is to say they are a little scooped, great big bottom end, more compressed, and pump out a lot of sound even with a light touch. Sort of the same difference as between a passive and active bass.

Of course, these are differences that could be quite easily adjusted for with pickup height and/or a preamp. As always, YMMV...

18. svt1233

svt1233

I've got a 2006 MIA fender Jazz std. and I've been wanting to put these in for a while but I'm kind of skeptical about doing any mods to my bass.

19. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Nice description. I agree. Some people seem to think vintage is dark and thick.

20. socknroll1

socknroll1

Hey svt1223- if it's perfect,don't change it. I'll never swap out the pickup in my 05 P bass.

21. Mike M.

Mike M.

Were any mods to the bass or pickguard needed for the Ultra Jazz pickups, or did they fit right in?