1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Just put in DiMarzio Ultra Jazz's - brief review

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by socknroll1, May 17, 2012.

1. socknroll1

socknroll1

I didn't want to add this to the "best jazz bass pups" thread because I am no authority on the subject. But I did want to share because I'm really happy with these.

Background:
    I was a die-hard P-bass guy for years. Finally got an American Std Jazz Bass (see avatar) in Feb 2011. I loved it but the hum was really bad at my apartment, and I couldn't shake the feeling that there was a "thin-ness" to the sound as well. I like passive pickups. Shopped around and found great reviews for these, decided to give them a try.

Results:
    Just what I was hoping for! No hum. More bass and low-mids. Using both pickups, it sounds like a really nicely EQ'd Jazz Bass. Using the neck pickup, it can cop P-Bass tones much easier than before. And the bridge pickup solo'd finally gives me something usable - didn't dig it at all before.

This baby is truly my #1 from here on out. All the sounds I need in a playable, balanced bass. I'm so psyched. Thx for reading.
  2. MSIMSBASS

MSIMSBASS

I love them they sound modern and vintage at the same time! Great bang for the buck!
  3. socknroll1

socknroll1

I don't think true vintage purists would be happy with them. They are a little high output for that. But DiMarzio makes pickups for that purpose.
  4. iiipopes

iiipopes

Because it is also humbucking, this is the pickup I use in my P/J configuration, and I've found nothing better for this particular configuration in the 36+ years I've played bass. The tone, output and humbucking match a P-pickup perfectly.

Yes, the Jazz bass "purists" or "traditionalists" don't approve, but if you're playing a P/J configuration, you're not doing that scene, anyway, unless you have another Jazz bass.

Here's mine, with fanned frets:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/different-custom-p-style-bass-755914/
  5. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

I've got a pair in my Carvin LB70, and love 'em! I'm into the active sound, and don't care a whit about hewing to the traditional Jazz Bass vibe, so none of that is an issue for me.

The Ultra Jazz - especially with a quality preamp - have just a wonderful modern, active tone: deep, wide, clean, refined and polished...with a certain sweetness and sparkle in the upper frequencies - no harshness or honk whatsoever.

Yummy! :cool:

MM
  6. takeout

takeout

Are you guys wiring these up series or parallel?
  7. kedo

kedo

I tried the stock pu's in my avri 62 jazz, and Fender CS60's, before trying out some Ultras. I love 'em!
  8. dave64o

dave64o Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for that review. I finally acquired all the parts I needed to Frankenstein a fretless SX Jazz I'm not using into a fretted parts bass (only the original body will remain! :eek:). It's getting a set of Ultra Jazz's that will be matched up with a 4-band Audere preamp.

Sound like Ultra's be what I was hoping they'd be.
  9. MysticMichael

Parallel

MM
  10. MysticMichael

Ooh, that's going to sound very nice. Your onboard electronics will be first-rate. :cool:

MM
  11. David Grunigen

David Grunigen

Anyone know how these would work in a Jazz with S-1 switching?
  12. dave64o

dave64o Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting this project underway. My only problem is that lately I've had so much going on that I haven't been able to get to the luthier's shop during his working hours to drop off all the parts. This bass will be a complete mutt built almost entirely from used parts I bought here on TB and I'm getting really antsy waiting to see how it finally turns out. :p

I also put a very similar 4-band Audere (which I also bought used her on TB! :D) in a Tobias Toby Pro 4 earlier this year and I was VERY happy with the results. Even with the original Tobias pickups it sounds great, plus the 4-bands of EQ and the Z-mode switch give it endless versatility.
  13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    well, i'm a purist and i really like them too. (i have them in two of my basses- a jazz bass and a jaguar bass)
    i wire each one in series (as they're intended to be) and then in parallel to the pots (or a switch).

if you want a vintage tone out of them, IME, all you have to is run your tone control down to about 50% to cut their 'more sparkly than stock' top end. IMO, they really aren't that high of an output pickup either, since my stock p basses have more output.
  14. famousbirds

famousbirds

I've had Ultra Jazzes in my main squeeze Jazz bass for a couple years now, and they're eminently usable pickups. Not what I would choose for a "vintage" sound or feel, but still very much a Jazz bass (with plenty of gas in the tank).

Recently just installed an Audere preamp, and wow! It really opened them up. I think you'll be quite happy with that setup. That P-bass tone is easier than ever to cop...
  15. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    OK, so please define "vintage" sounding pickups? Everyone has a different opinion for what that means. And the 60s pickups were wound a lot hotter and use different wire than the 70s pickups, but they are both vintage. But one is a lot brighter than the other. And even the 60s basses were bright. So how is that vintage and not modern? It's all what you do with them. :)
  16. famousbirds

famousbirds

Well, fair enough, that's my entirely subjective impression of "vintage". But I think of "vintage" as lower-output, bright, detailed mids, and dynamic, with a subdued, tight bass. Vintage pickups you can really dig in and get a dramatic range of tones.

The Ultra Jazzes feel more "modern", which is to say they are a little scooped, great big bottom end, more compressed, and pump out a lot of sound even with a light touch. Sort of the same difference as between a passive and active bass.

Of course, these are differences that could be quite easily adjusted for with pickup height and/or a preamp. As always, YMMV...
  17. svt1233

svt1233

I've got a 2006 MIA fender Jazz std. and I've been wanting to put these in for a while but I'm kind of skeptical about doing any mods to my bass.
  18. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Nice description. I agree. Some people seem to think vintage is dark and thick.
  19. socknroll1

socknroll1

Hey svt1223- if it's perfect,don't change it. I'll never swap out the pickup in my 05 P bass.
  20. Mike M.

Mike M.

Were any mods to the bass or pickguard needed for the Ultra Jazz pickups, or did they fit right in?