1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Just put on Fender 9050 flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Swipter, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Swipter

Swipter

Just put on my new Fender 9050L flat wounds. I tried them in the garage a little. They sound good on the Jazz. They still have some brightness to them. As compared to the Marcus Millers some of the sparkle came off the top but I am okay with that. I am excited about playing on Sunday. It should be great. They are lighter than I am used to. Maybe I will try the 9050CL strings next time. We will see. Thanks for all the advice.
  2. atomicdog

atomicdog

Thanks for the feedback. I might try those. Break a leg.
  3. backup

backup

i want to try them out as well. ive seen many fender jazz players using fender flats. eg aston barrett esperanza spalding
    is there a difference in sound between the gauges?
  4. Luckydog

Luckydog

BIG difference in Fender flats sold today vs those sold previously.

Older fender flats- huge thump, more than any other string I've used. Very authoritative. "old school"

Newer fender flats- much like daddario chromes. Thump, even when played in, is MUCH less. They sound NOTHING like their namesake.
  5. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he looks Supporting Member

I've had issues with the D-string of two Fender 9050ML sets. After a few weeks this D totally died. It began to feel like a piece of fence wire and didn't produce a decent sound anymore. I remember having to tune it daily. One of those D-strings even broke. The other strings, however, stayed in shape. This was two years ago.
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I tried a set on one of my Jazz Basses.
    Very even, balanced, set.
    Not like old fender flats. not a big sounding. More top end.
    Somewhat like Chromes. nice tension.
  7. backup

backup

just ordered a set hopefully they arrive tomorrow
  8. backup

backup

ok just put them on. out of the box they are VERY zingy and bright. brighter than sun beams.
    the light gauge set is pretty smooth in feel and seems not to have much more tension than the sunbeams. no readjustments needed. the slap soudn right now has an amazing growl.
    lets see how they will sound after 20 hours or so of use.
    (i play squier VM jazz)
  9. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

Stainless flats take a while. Might take you a month, depending. Be patient.
  10. backup

backup

they start losing their zingyness very fast now.
    i rehearsed with my band and after a couple hours of nonstop playing i do notice they have considerably more tension than the sunbeams.
    i also recorded something at home directly to the mixer. now i never had such a full and nice tone from my bass going DI to the board! not even close! that makes me happy
    even with a foam mute the slap sound is very powerful. 16th grooves are really driving and cut through the mix very well
    the green silk doesnt contrast very well with the strings though and it looks like its grey or nonexistent