1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Just something about a nice Jazz bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickr, Nov 10, 2012.

1. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

I have been playing high end basses for about 12 years now.....Pretty much anything you can name.
    I have always liked the idea of jazz basses but have always found then hit or miss as far as fenders go. Earlier this year I bought a Fender american standard from a fellow talkbass member. This bass played great and I quickly became "use" to it. After a couple of months I sold the bass to get another boutique bass as usual. When the new bass came it just didnt feel right....not like they use to. So I quickly traded that one for another boutique bass that I always loved in the past. Again, it didnt feel quite right. I offered that bass up for trade and was offered a Mike Lull MV4. I had not tried a Lull and figured what the heck.
    This bass is amazing! It just feels natural. weighs less than 8 lbs and the playability is better than many of my ultra high end basses from the past.
    I think I have made the crossover to Jazz basses...... looks like Im gonna have to try a Sadowsky now too.........;)

2. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Same. Owned several Fender jazzes which I liked but never loved. Tried a couple of Sadowsky's which didnt quite do it for me. Played a Lull M4V and everything changed. Definitely a high quality jazz. What does yours have in it? Mine has an Aguilar OBP-3 and Fralin hum cancelling pickups.

3. Nofrettin

Nofrettin Supporting Member

Same. For me it's an Fbass Vf5. I love it, and I'm never letting it go. There's something in the sound of a jazz bass that I've been missing and not even knowing I was missing.

4. prd004

prd004

M4V is my all time favorite bass! It just works for any style

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Mine has Fralins and Bartolini . Dont know if I completely love that particular combination but it is growing on me

7. Green1

Green1

Don't forget to try a Nordstrand as well.....they are amazing.....Valenti and Alleva Coppolo should be mentioned as well

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Mike Lull basses are every bit on the same level as Sadowsky or Fender custom shop. Different flavor. More Fenderesque. J Basses rule.

9. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Yep, this Lull bass impresses me more each day

10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

I *think* the Fender American Standard has a slightly larger neck radius compared to the Lull, which I think is 12 on 4 stringers, could be mistaken, and the Fender I think is 9. My Fender J V has a killer neck on it, it's a 2012. Enjoy.

11. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

I've tried Fender basses off and on over the years. Tried to like the Jazz body/sound. Never quite worked for me. So pretty much I've stuck with modern boutique instruments. Tobias, Pedulla, Ristola, Roscoe, Smith, warrior... But recently tried this Mayones Jazz. Whoa. I'm in love. Its now stocked with an Audere pre and Delano pups. First Jazz style I really dig.

[​IMG]

12. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

great looking bass. Like the 24 frets too. Never heard of the builder.

13. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

I have to agree. I was always a non-Fender style bass guy until I found this original 77' Jazz. Got a good price on it and I couldn't be happier. Makes a nice counterpart for my main bass (Dingwall ABZ5). I know you were talking about non Fenders, but is it a good jazz!! :D

Attached Files:

14. Ivan M

Ivan M

Funny cause i just found out about these Basses, saw a few videos on youtube, they sound AWESOME. I believe it is a POLISH company.

Here is their website.

http://www.mayones.com/