1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Just stumbled across the mxr el grande fuzz... WOW!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Guinness20, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Guinness20

Guinness20

Looking at fuzzes, including but not limited to traditional muff-style fuzzes. I've been looking at the likes of the tfr, the swollen pickle and the musket. Then the other day I was just mooching in a music shop and found the el grande bass fuzz - this thing is mental!!! Might be the front runner now - love the tfr but might get lost in the mix, heard people say the swollen pickle doesn't work in a band context, and on the fuzz wars with the musket it sounds really synthy - not what I want. Think I've just found my fuzz :)
  2. Jacob J

Jacob J

Cool! From what I´ve read here but also elsewhere, this pedal gets rather negative press. Maybe that´s why you see them in classifieds going cheap as dirt. I was thinking about getting this pedal when I had been looking at fuzz pedals, there was a soundsample at MXR website which sounded really good to me...Have you already tried the pedal in the band setting?
  3. Guinness20

Guinness20

Didn't know they get bad press around here. I have't tried it in a band setting, haven't bought one yet. It's so tough - the swollen pickle is really versatile and has some real low end to it, but I've heard people say it just doesn't work in a band setting. I love the tfr, I'm just worried I won't be heard in the band. I know a lot of people love the musket and I did too, but i pluck with my fingers and I don't pluck particularly hard/aggressively. There's a point in the fuzz wars video where they get it to sound synthy, and with my playing style I'm worried I'd produce that sound.
    There's also the mojo hand colossus, but I don't like that quite as much as the musket.
  4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

FWIW, I have never gotten a synthy sound from my Musket. It is my go-to fuzz in a band that has me fighting two saturated guitars (I also went to it from a TFR).

To my ears there's one pretty sweet sound in the El Grande (which requires some internal switch work), but for me it wasn't too usable because of the insane amount of gain. Insane amount of gain. With a very touchy knob. Which I'm guessing is one reason it's not highly regarded around here.
  5. Guinness20

Guinness20

Well there's a point in the fuzz wars video where he's hardly touching the strings as he plucks and the musket sounds really synthy, and I don't pluck heavily.
  6. spoonfulofshred

spoonfulofshred

I have the El Grande fuzz. I find it works well in some songs and not in others. Recently, we've been doing a cover of Iggy Pop's I Wanna Be Your Dog (or Ape, as we say) and it sounds perfect. Real filthy and thick and I think it works because it's more of a slower heavy style song. But I find it's a bit muddy for faster stuff. Another song we do has a Iron Maiden-esque galloping part and it sounds great when I'm alone but turns to mush in the full band mix. Basically, some days I'm satisfied, some days I'm GASsing for a new fuzz. :)
  7. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I tried the El Grande once and I couldn't get a usable sound out of it. Just a huge wall of feedback and noise that was completely out of control. I didn't mess with the internal trimpots or anything, maybe I should have. The demo on the MXR page sounds cool.

I don't think you should write off a pedal based on one setting in one video. I have never had a chance to try a Musket but I haven't ever found Big Muff's to sound very synthy. I would imagine if you got a Musket and didn't like it you could return it or sell it at little to no loss to you. Good luck on you fuzz search.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Worst. Fuzz. Ever.
  9. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

There's also a point in that video where he's using a pick on the Musket and it doesn't sound synthy at all, just a nice, mid-focused muff fuzz. Remember, on top of the regular sustain and tone controls of a big muff, the Musket has the pre-gain control and the Focus knob. Lots of control over the level of clipping at different ranges. I keep both my Pre and Fuzz levels very low with Focus and Mids about halfway and it's perfect. If you crank both the Pre and Fuzz, and especially if you dial back the Focus, you'll get some heavy gain fuzz feedback madness. I imagine that's the area they're at in the video when he's not even using his right hand and still getting tons of sound.