1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Just To Clarify

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mam1862, Feb 17, 2014.

1. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

This is probably a question that has been asked before but what is the beginning of the pedal chain?

Is it the pedal that your bass gets plugged into or the pedal that gets plugged into the amp?

Thx.
  2. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

First one from the bass is the start.
  3. Major Softie

Major Softie

The language is shaped around the direction of the path the signal is taking. It originates at the pickups, goes to the volume/tone/preamp in the bass, the cable out of the bass, and then into the pedals.

Thus, as skulletwhip says, the cable goes from the bass to the first pedal in the chain.
  4. mam1862

Got it. Thanks. Just to grab some opinions. These are the pedals I have and the order I have them in. I like the sound but I am wondering if I should move the compressor to the front.

Line 6 G50
    Korg Tuner
    Mxr Chorus Deluxe
    Mxr Octave Deluxe
    Mxr Envelope Filter
    Earthquaker Organizer
    Strymon Lex
    Mxr Overdrive
    Mxr Compressor
  5. Major Softie

Major Softie

I'm not much of a pedal guy, but certainly moving the compressor to the front will make a significant change in how the effects pedals effect the signal. Try it and see if you like it. Only takes a moment to put it back.
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

People tend to put compressors first because of what was mentioned above, but sometimes it can work at the end if you like it to limit spikes from certain effects. Octaves and fuzzes tend to come next, then overdrives, modulation and any kind of preamps at the end.

BUT the order should be whatever sounds best to you. I break a lot of those guidelines myself.
  7. mam1862

I am gonna put the compressor first just to check it out.

Thanks.
  8. Richard Walters

Richard Walters Gold Supporting Member

Don't know about Earthquake Organizer and Strymon Lex, but I'd put chorus at the end, keep the first two where they are, and be sure the compressor comes after the envelope filter and the overdrive because sometimes those two need calming down. Compressor at the beginning only helps of you have a really hard attack in your playing, IMHO.
  9. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

Yes try different places to find what sounds best. I moved mine to the end because it seemed to be "taming" my dirt pedals. They lost some spice. I like spice.
  10. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I would arrange your pedals like this:

Line 6 G50
    Korg Tuner
    Mxr Octave Deluxe
    Mxr Overdrive
    Envelope Filter
    Mxr Compressor
    Mxr Chorus Deluxe
    Earthquaker Organizer
    Strymon Lex

I don't know if I'd keep it like that. The compressor maybe could be moved to the end or the beginning to hear what that sounds like.