1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Just when you thought you have seen it all.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by B-string, Dec 16, 2013.

1. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I've been playing out over 40 years and thought I had about seen it all.
    Setup: Outside private Christmas party on an open lot right next to the business owner's home. Sunny, low to mid 60's fahrenheit with a slight breeze. Perfect, 2 pm to 6 pm only downside is it is a dirt and gravel lot so have to watch how the cords get laid out. In between two houses with a hill to our backs and an open view to the lake in front.
    First set goes a little long to a great crowd and everything is balanced and sounding awesome. Go to place my stick in the stand......there is smoke coming from the side of my 412!
    Power down the amp and grab a screwdriver out of the "bandaid" box to remove the top grill. Padding is not discolored, can't feel any heat, run my hand under the padding and inside the panels are barely warm, well nothing wrong inside the cab. WTH? Touch the tolex and its extremely HOT. It is then I notice a bright white light on my hand where the smoke comes from!
    End of story the house the keys and myself were next to had an outside window made of glass block! Six burn/melted spots on my cab and melted some of the draw bars on one keyboard and several of the black keys on both keyboards. The glass block was acting like a magnifying glass with the afternoon sun and hitting our equipment in random places.
    If you see an outside glass block window close to where you are setting up, demand it get covered :atoz:
  2. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yeah, very strange! Good thing nothing caught fire.
  4. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

What tha?????? I have never even heard of that! I have glass blocks in all my bathrooms. I'm glad I haven't been burned while getting a shower.

Incredible story! Is your cab OK?
  6. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Man, talk about out of left field! I wouldn't have thought it would focus the sun so intently. At least you figured it out before anything actually ignited.
  7. sobie18

sobie18

That's hot... :cool:
  8. B-string

I'll get some pics when I can bring myself to survey the damage again. Myself and the keyboardist's wife were chasing these "hot" spots with white towels and tape as they showed up. Our poor keyboardist now has one well suntanned ear before his wife was able to block that ray.
    In the back of my mind I think I remember glass block is not allowed by code for outside windows? Guess this would be the reason!
    Cab still plays fine just not as pretty on the one side and back. We did avoid any fires and was amazed his upper keyboard did not suffer a failure as hot as the top panel got before we covered it in between sets.
    If you play long enough..........
  9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

We had a glass vase full of water on the wooden kitchen table in front of a window once. Saw several burn marks appear on the table and thought maybe we had set something too hot down. I suspected it was the sun through the vase though. I removed it and placed it on a wood board outside - sure enough the focused sunlight got hot enough to blacken the wood!
    I was active-duty USAF then and told the safety office about it and they did an article for the USAF safety magazine.

Glad your gear didn't burn up and no one was injured!
  10. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    I had a scare once with a crystal wind chime on the west-facing porch. wicker furniture. oops.

:D
  11. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    That's rough!
  12. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Wow!!!!

'Round here, I'm way more worried about frostbite lately.
  13. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    As far as I know, the only codes that glass block don't meet are those having to do with thermal resistance.

I've been gigging even longer than 40 years and installing glass block for nearly as long. First time I've heard of this.

Rather than chasing the "hot spots", which would move as the sun's position changed, it would have been better to cover the entire window.
  14. tabooze24

tabooze24 Supporting Member

Totally not unrealistic!!!

Tons of bush fires in Australia in the past were caused by people throwing their glass empties out the window of their cars. Glass would break and create tons of little shards that would act like magnify glasses. The sun would hit them and burn down half of the countryside!!!!
  15. Wagz

Wagz

:cool: Sucks that you'll be replacing burnt tolex in the near future. On the "bright side" at least it beats living someplace where it's 5 degrees with constant snow. I'd trade in my snowblower in a hot minute to have such problems in the middle of December :cool:
  16. B-string

I was looking for something and a way to get to that window when the drummer and two guitarists (unaffected by all of this) started up again. Not too happy with those three and the keyboardist was one who always covers his keyboards to keep DUST out. Was really surprised he took it that well.......last night anyway. We will see how he fairs after the afterglow of the gig wears off.
    No regulation on direct sun exposed exterior use Bill? Maybe a different grade for interior and exterior use or design requirements? That house is unoccupied I wonder if any damage happens inside?
  17. B-string

Chances of this happening again pretty small and I could always go with DuraTex. No patching up the drawbars or keys on the keyboards though. Yes warmer temps are nice, but don't imagine you would be playing outside in snow and 5 degrees though :cool:. Still a high price to pay? ;)
  18. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Wow, what a bummer - I hope the client/business owner is covering the damages, or at least helping?
  19. 1bassplayin

1bassplayin

I feel for ya. (and I get upset when tolex gets scraped) The desert does get hot and in the summer it could have been much worse.
  20. B-string

Thank Joe, not happening though. The lot is not owned/leased by the person who hired us, he just has permission to use it. Land there is long term leased from one of tribes. Sticky situation. The tips on top of the pay were darn good, but not that good :). An education and story to tell though.