Just when you thought you saw everything: Dutch Backwards Stock car racing.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blazer, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Disclosures:
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars

It's trouble, it's dangerous, it's mayhem, it's super, it's awesome.

for the uninitiated: DAF built these crazy little cars with a constant-velocity belt-drive automatic transmission. (it was also used for a short time on a motorcycle... Bomardier, maybe? and later on a little Asian car, called the CVCC transmission)

The best part is, the reverse gear is also constant-velocity automatic... so the car acheives the same speed in reverse as it does in forward.

That "Moyee" word what that first commentator is saying is the Dutch word "Mooi" which means "Beautiful" or "Splendid"
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Notice that the giant American sedans rule.
  3. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star Supporting Member

Holy crap!!!

A former coworker and I had the idea to have reverse races a long time ago, but we never did it because...... well....... you see what's happening on the track! Doing that with the company trucks would've been fun but also a really bad idea.

The idea originated from the practice of backing out of really long, narrow, wavy driveways of really big properties rather than doing three-point-turns (or six-or-more-point turns in really tight positions) to get out in a forward gear. We could both do it pretty dang fast without wiping out (although I came close, once), but competition would have probably made us reckless. :D

EDIT: Are there such things as forklift races? Those steer with the back wheels......
  4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I once got forklift training, and they warned us about that behavior of forklifts.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassteban

bassteban

I got a forklift up on two wheels one- VERY pucker-inducing...
    The announcers voice seems to be what I'd call *Euro-Redneck* if that makes any sense. Awesome
  7. Simo98

Simo98

In my mind, this is a Monty Python sketch, and the guy commentating is this guy:

[​IMG]