Justin Interviewed on Pedals & Effects

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by TaySte_2000, Feb 28, 2014.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
  2. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    Very cool. I can definitely relate to all of this from the perspective of where I'm at with the work I'm doing. Thanks for sharing!!

3. Mrzonehead

Mrzonehead

This was a rad pedals and effects! Would love to hear you produce one of Juan's records! The two of you would come up with some really innovative stuff together...

Had a very reputable guitar player say to me that he didn't know how us cats did it. I responded, did what? He said, as a guitar player, you can come in and just kind of dance on top of it all, but as a bassist, you had to know every aspect of the music-what the drummer was doing against the vocal, and what the keyboard player was doing with the horns and guitars etc. It's so great to hear you talk about the importance the glue (bass) has to the foundation of the house. And yes I'd agree that bassists have made some great producers-just look at Don Was or Randy Jackson's career-and of course, yours too;)!

4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Well said, Mrzonehead. Also: Fridmann, Laswell,my friend Gus Seyffert who plays with the Black Keys. I'm sure there are plenty more. But probably not enough! I think that part of the problem is that bass players sometimes feel marginalized, and stepping forth can require a leap a of faith. I wonder: can anyone else think of some good examples?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Mat Mitchell
    Paul Barker
    Larry Klein
    Tony Maimone
    Bob Weston
    Tony Saunders
    Matt McJunkins (as The Beta Machine)
    Billy Mohler
    John Paul Jones

7. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    This was great! I have just gotten back into the wonderful world of pedals (there goes all my gig money!) Very thought provoking. Thanks!

8. KeithPoker

KeithPoker Previously KeithKlaxwell Supporting Member

JMJ, I thoroughly enjoyed your interview. As a bass player I can very much relate to feeling like a connector/glue in the studio environment. Even if the bridge is merely a simple rhythmic figure I borrow once from another instrument. I also find I will pay a lot of attention to the rhythms of the vocal phrase. During a vocal rest is where I may try to weave a counter-melody.

What artists over the years may have influenced your sound treatment sensibility the most? Are you hip to Boards of Canada? I saw Com Truise last night at The Echoplex, killer.

9. jmjbassplayer

Nice, thx, all.

Yeah, I'm down with BOC, since in the Beck/Radiohead/Nigel camp it was on our radar very early. They're great. Com Truise has been a fixture for a while and it seems like they're (he) is finally living up to the blog-worthiness of his clever nom de plume, at least in terms of popularity. It's not really my thing musically, tho.

My sound treatment sensibility comes from things like This Heat, Faust, Harry Partch, Scott Walker, 4AD stuff, Factory stuff, but mainly most of all from Wire and all of its offshoots i.e. Dome, He Said, etc. Also from my history with Brad Laner from my old band Medicine and the various electronic and/or experimental things he has been involved with over the years, some of which I participated in. Also Aphex Twin, certainly.

Vegas532: great list! Not sure I really count Mat Mitchell as a bona fide bass player/producer, but he's certainly very capable and knowledgeable in many areas. I forgot about Tony Maimone. I love him.

Let's see: Maybe Wobble? I thought he produced some of the Invaders Of The Heart records...it's hard to think of other dudes.

10. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

11. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

...and Roger Glover, of course!

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Greg Lake produced most of Emerson, Lake and Palmer's albums after they quit using Eddy Offord.

13. jmjbassplayer

Duh Elizondo! Duh Glover, Lake too.

14. TheControlled

TheControlled

I think you two should spend more time together. The likelihood of both of you combining your knowledge, unreal playing and myriads of killer effects to create a positive bass portal to a parallel universe that can solve world hunger, hate and suffering is increased every time it happens! Haha. But seriously, this is a true testament to the positive powers of the internet. Kids these days are so lucky to have access to guys like yourself and Juan through forums and social media. I would have almost killed for it as a learning, keen teenager. In theory, the next generation of musicians should be absolutely incredible!