1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

K&K pickup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Barongket, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Barongket

Barongket

Does anyone have an opinion concerning this pickup? What's the best way to attach it to the bridge?

2. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    Which one? They make several.

They come with instructions, so... not sure what you're asking for here. The best way to attach it, IME, is to install it as designed.

3. Barongket

Barongket

My son's music teacher gave it to him. He didn't know much about it and it has no instructions. It has four dime sized copper discs that attach to the bridge. My question is do we attach to the top or bottom and what type of adhesive do we use. Do we tape it or glue it? I thought someone might be able to help. I didn't know they had different types.

4. wolffire99

wolffire99 Supporting Member

It's a good pickup unless you plan on going into a medium or large PA setup than you'll need a preamp to boost the passive signal. But small PA or acoustic amp is fine direct. Just google k&k pure mini installation and you'll find plenty of tutorials and videos. Google is your friend.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Barongket

Barongket

TalkBass is always my first stop, googles my second.

7. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    That's called the Double Big Twin. It's good for pizzicato, not as preferable for bowing because it's close to the strings and gets a lot of the "scratchiness" in the sound. A preamp is strongly recommended, as it has less gain (it's "stuck on" rather than under pressure) and the impedance buffering for this particular pickup is very helpful.

The pickup originally came with adhesive (like a very strong double-stick tape) and each pickup is adhered under each string, about 1/4" away or so from the top of the bridge. You can experiment with some putty (Poster-tack, plumber's Mortite, etc. all work) to see how you like it, and then use superglue to put them on. I can also send you some of the adhesive for a nominal cost.

PM me with an email address, and I'll send you some helpful instructions.

8. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

has anyone tried this pickup with the 4 elements clamped on, as opposed to taped or glued on? I ask b/c I have been experimenting with the K&K hot spot single disc pickup and find its response vastly improves as the pressure holding it on increases... I do need to find something better than a clothes pin to clamp it on, though! :) it's *almost* my favorite pickup at the moment..

9. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    A binder clip?
    [​IMG]

I suggest you try it in the bridge wing, padded with dense felt or cork.
    The element resting on the bridge's leg.
    You may be surprised!

10. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

I just followed ur suggestion with a bit of cork and have the element tightly wedged against the upper part of the bridge wing... great response! full, clear, even... too early to know for sure bc I was in a hurry at home using a less than ideal amp... but so far so good! will report back after more testing is done...

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

I have used many different K&K pickups on a variety of acoustic instruments. They are excellent. The only suggestion that I have is that a good, quality active DI does wonders. I have a LR Baggs Paracoustic DI that I use for such a purpose, and it makes a world of difference.

K&K also make preamps. They work well also.