1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Kahler bridges any experience with them?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Nov 13, 2013.

1. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Gorgeous build quality. Sturdy as a brick house. Infinitely adjustable. Quirky. Not a retrofit for anything known to man. Taller than the typical Fender-style bridge, so a neck angle or a bridge recess is necessary.

3. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Thanks for the concise review. The height issue may be a problem.

4. bassictraining

bassictraining

I have two of them and I agree with ctmullins completely. Great bridge, but I did have to route it into the bass to get my desired action.

Hipshot is awesome as well....I would have gone with them if I could have gotten one with a 14mm spacing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, height is definitely an issue. They are indeed quirky and not the easiest bridges to adjust but you can get the string spacing very tight.

You can get certain Kahler parts more cheaply from WD than you can from Kahler themselves.

7. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Agreed, with almost all of this.

I have one on an 85 Ibanez 5 string bass, and it was the only bridge available at the time that would go narrow enough for the string spacing. No shimming or routing required to mount, although the size required moving the bridge PU toward the neck approx. third of an inch. Improved the sound of the bass' sound imo. I have another of the same bass pretty much stock, sounds different.

Initial set-up was a bit of a PITA, but since it's been rock solid. Don't think I've really adjusted it, besides string height, in a decade or so. String height adj. requires no tools, really quick.
    It is heavy, though. Feels like it adds a pound.

8. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
  9. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I've never seen the bridge in the link. Be sure to write a review once you've got it on.

10. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
  11. bassictraining

bassictraining

Ohhh, wow. That looks nice. My comments only apply to the model in the first link as that's the one I have. Good luck, looks awesome.

12. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Thanks Good luck is right. ;) I will need it. I have never tried anything like this project.

13. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    It just arrived it is a beast almost 2 Lb.s The bass body will be 1 piece Claro Walnut and a 18mm spaced 6 string 35 scale Maple neck with a Dymondwood fingerboard thai will be a heavy bass!