1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Kahler Fixed Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Charley Sabatino, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Charley Sabatino

Charley Sabatino

Disclosures:
    Endorsed by Lakland, Hartke, SIT, Kahler , Igig and Lathon Bass Wear
    Check out the video I made for Kahler! Hear the difference in sustain and tone a Kahler bridge makes!!!

2. MattZilla

MattZilla Supporting Member

Their site hasn't been updated in two years- your video is the only hint that the company still exists as of 2014. And sustain demo?
  3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Were the recording settings the same with the first part of your video? The bass sounded much louder and less muffled in the second part of the build with the Kahler. Did you use the same strings with both bridges?
  4. frankenp

frankenp Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of those bridges. The base is too thick and you'll normally need a neck shim to bring the action back down. I don't think the video is a fair comparison. With the stock bridge, the recording is muffled and you play with a finger funk muted note style. There is no fair comparison of sustain.
  5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Warmoth stopped selling them because Kahler changed the design more than once..but...I have the 5 string version for my Gecko5 Wide and it's very versatile. I also had it countersunk like Warmoth would do (because routing is recommended for this model bridge) and what they did years ago when they promoted them. You can find them at Wammi World. And I don't have any shims under my neck and have a really low action all along the 24 fret neck.

http://www.wammiworld.com/
  6. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

IMHO, Looks like a PIA to me. When you need to intonate, loosen front and rear allen screws and now the entire saddle block is flopping around, front to back, side to side, potentially throwing string spacing out. Not to mention you have to take all tension off the string to intonate; it's gonna take a lot of futzing to get it right. Many other simple designs that achieve the same effects as this machine.

You may believe differently.
  7. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

it's not that cheesy a unit and as an owner/user I find it easier to use than the ABM (the one Hipshot A cloned) I replaced. YMMV