1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Kala U Bass Owners? Honeymoon Over?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmunnky, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Or you still in love..

I read through the entire KalaU Megathread..and man..like all threads, it's great at the open..then...the list of issues about bridges, strings, and general unhappiness with a smaller group of users.

I saw this incredible video

and fell in love from the first note.

I'd use it for the same reason the guy in the vid is using it for..Upright stuff, blues, jazz, on gigs when I DON'T want to haul the dog house..or just record.

Let me know will ya.

2. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    The Kala isn't a use-it-for-every-style bass, but it does well with many styles. I wouldn't cover Yes or any metal with it, but it does a nice job on reggae, soul, funk, R&B and even on some rock songs. I've had mine two years and still like it. Not enough to sell my Lakland, but enough to keep it.

3. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Thanks, I play cover jobs and sometimes do 'light jazz' during the first set...where I think this thing would be a no brainer...light easy and SMALL, but with a huge sound

Thanks

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    I had one for a year or so but sold it as it was impractical.

For practice, I have bases all over the house.... I don't travel with a bass.... My bands really require a 5er with rounds.... Etc.

Fun bass that sounds killer, but I wasn't using mine enough. I had zero complaints though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

Does it have its own set of quirks? Why yes, it does. But then, so do many other basses. It gets the job done for what it is meant to do, which is meant to be played with almost anything an upright is used for.

My only real complaint about my U bass is the the cable jack in the end pin is notorious about working it's way loose. Mine is going in the shop to be replaced shortly.

7. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Might have to put this on the amazon wish list for Christmas
    Thanks for the great feed back.

8. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I just received a SUB Solidbody & still having a blast with it.

A bassist Facebook friend posted just Monday that he also picked up one & was enjoying it as well.

9. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

When you actually play it you'll really understand the appeal. The portability and tone is great, but it's the feel I like most about it.

10. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    I totally understand the appeal..the video I posted sells it for me..Just checking in with long time owners like yourself, having over time - I've read about the quirks...loosening the strings before putting it in the case..intonation..etc.

Thanks for the feedback

11. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

It hasn't left me wanting one, but that is really cool. I didn't know those existed, so thanks for the link. Learn something new everyday.

12. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
  13. Brent Hahn

Brent Hahn

I was really hot for one until I actually played a couple in a store and discovered they need a super-delicate touch -- very fine line between good and SPLAT! -- and I'm not a ham-fisted player. Not for me. i was bummed.

14. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

15. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

The intonation can be iffy on some of them. You might consider a fretless model, in which case you could simply roll your finger forward/back to account for the slightly flat/sharp notes.

Since receiving my SUB Solidbody, I've been itching for its ukelele sibling. It'll be a fretless one when I do get it.

16. Kryptos

Kryptos

I have both a solid and acoustic (fretted and not), nice instruments, minimal learning curve. Intonation is acceptable and the build quality on mine at least isvery good. Been playing them for 18 months or so.

Personally prefer the Aquila Thunderguts to the OEM strings. Play bluegrass/old time in the summer fretless with a Roland Microcube amp and sit in with the local calypso/steel drummers in the winter with the fretted SUB.

Much more convenient than hauling an upright bass about and once the bluegrass/ot purists recovered from the shock well received.

17. SBassman

SBassman

Disclosures:
    PiccoBass Dealer
    I think this class of bass will only grow larger over time.

With the string options available now - from Aquila - I think you have a stable bass in a small package that can conjure almost any tone.

What Will change over time is - the alternative designs from different manufacturers. Only a matter of time before all kinds of different designs - at different price points - fall from the sky. In the UBass megathread, we have already spotted a couple.

It really is a fun bass to play. Light, small, comfortable - yet plugged in it is capable of Walls of Sound. Amazing.

Yeah, you need to adjust technique a bit, and you might not reach the comfort zone sitting in a store. But, you Will reach that comfort zone at home, after just a few sessions.

More bass fun than a person should be allowed to have. :D

18. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

I only wish I bought a fretless model. Other than than that I'm still digging mine... Got it for Christmas 2012. I'm thinking of deferring it (professionally). I could probably just buy a fretless for the $$$ it will cost but I don't need 2 U basses.