Kala U-Bass Stay In Tunedeness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Irwin, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Dave Irwin

Dave Irwin Supporting Member

Anyone comment on how well the Ubasses hold there tune. This is my only gripe with the ashbory.
    If it does a better job, I'm ready to buy.

Thanks,
    Dave
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

The ubass strings are an improvement over the silicon ashbory strings, but if you want immediate tuning stability you're not gonna get it. It takes literally months for ubass strings to stabilize, but once you get there, it's a wonderful thing. There are other string options such as Aquila thunderguts and silver rumblers, but many people find them sticky and squeaky.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

The stock strings stay in tune a lot better than Ashbory strings, but require more tuning than steel strings.

Mine took several weeks to stretch in and stabilize to the point where they'd stay in tune through half an hour or more of playing.

They're pretty sensitive to temperature changes as well. At gigs I've had to touch up the tuning after the first or second song because of heat from stage lights.
  4. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

I had a Acoustic U bass and now own a SB fretless Ubass. It will take several weeks into a few months for the U bass strings to stabilize so play it as much as you can. I'm considering going back to an acoustic model for different reasons.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. yeelaberbin

yeelaberbin

several weeks for the U bass ( stock ) strings to stabilize,
    But only some days for the Thunderguts...
    The sticky issue don't concern everybody.
  7. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money... Supporting Member

Once the strings stretch out (or break in, whichever you choose) they'll stay in tune pretty well. New strings are still stretching and will go in and out of tune easily.
  8. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

Mine took several months to stabilize, and now is good. After playing a few songs on stage when I check the tuning it is always a little bit sharp. I retune and play a few songs and its a bit sharp again. I’m used to it and check my tuning often.
  9. lz4005

lz4005

Mine was doing the same thing until I lubed the nut slots with graphite. Barely does it at all now. I re-apply every few months.