Kala UBass Megathread, Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olitoon, Dec 27, 2013.

1. olitoon

olitoon

2. olitoon

olitoon

The Shortbass One, the Kala Cali 5-string, the Goldtone Microbass and the Tanglewood Traveller Bass have more or less the same scale length (between 23" and 23.6"). Aren't the strings the same for all models? All it needs is a

23" Thundergut 4 string set
    23" Thunder Red 4 string set
    23" Thunder Red single B string (5th string)

The hybrid Thundergut/ThunderRed 5 string set could be discontinued.

Maybe you can get a Thunder Red set for the Shortbass One and take the Thunder Red B-string from the Aquila 5-string set? The remaining 4 Thundergut strings from that set could be used on a Goldtone Microbass.

Btw, does anyone like the Silver Rumblers?
  3. yeelaberbin

yeelaberbin

Mimmo,

Great news for the red thunders !
    Will these strings be available on the Aquila on-line web store...
    before april ?
  4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Has anyone here played the thunder reds? The silver rumblers were supposed to be this wonderful perfect middle ground between the great feeling, yet forever stretching pahoehoe's and the high tension yet sticky thunderguts, but they turned out to be a sticky mess. I'm skeptical.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mimmo

Mimmo Aquila Strings

well, Aquilastrings will launch the Thunder Reds for the Kala u bass models at the NAMM show. Kala Ukuleles will do the same job at NAMM in their both.

After that event they will be available on our online store and direclty at kala Us and EU stores and some big on line shop like Elderly, Juststrings, stringsbymail... and so on.
    The same in EU.

I will attend the NAMM show this year with two Shortbass one models and a standard acoustic bass guitar with the hope to find out someone interested to develope a prototype for the very special Thunder Reds made for standard acoustic B guitar!
    Mimmo
    the picture? the two Shortbassone models (Basic & 14) , there are two Kala U bass; one has installed the Thunder Reds and another has the Thundergut strings)

Attached Files:

• duke.jpg
      duke.jpg
      File size:
      122.8 KB
      Views:
  7. troutbum22

troutbum22

What is the overall length of a U-Bass? (accoustic/electric)
  8. davewave

davewave Old and in the way... Supporting Member

^^^
    My acoustic measures 29.5 inches.
    Solidbody about an inch less.
  9. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

Good morning everyone !

Still reading through all the threads. Last night I got a steal on a Rumbler. While I am aware that QC is hit and miss, I got such a good deal that I couldn't justify making the financial jump to the spruce without being sure.

Was really hoping that I had the opportunity to obtain a Shortbass One. I found myself chasing my tail last night.

Well, back to reading. trying to get through everything so if I run in to a problem, I'll know how to try and deal with it.
  10. Gorn Captain

Congrats. If your don't find the strings unbearably sticky and squeaky and your tuners function properly, you're good to go.

I briefly had a rumbler but the strings don't work for me and all 4 tuners had busted gears.
  11. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

Thanks! Only one way to find out. Seen lots of your posts and appreciate you sharing.

I have always been interested, and decided to take a peek. I'll probably grab a GT too just to see where my preference lies.
  12. Temcat

Temcat

Thank you for the picture! Very useful for getting an idea of the comparative sizes :)
  13. troutbum22

troutbum22

Thanks for the reply on the length. At 6 1/2" less than the Microbass , the Ubass might be for me.
  14. Mimmo

Mimmo Aquila Strings

Yes, keep in cosideration that the shortbassone of this picture are just those of the first batch.
    Now we received here the second batch: all these instruments has bindings around the sound hole and the soundboard's perimeter. The head logo is now of mother -of -pearl instead white plastic as before.
    No truss road: right now it is not necessary. Note the whide portion of the soundboard full available for the low frequencies vibrations around the bridge and the smaller and lighter bridge in comparation with those of the standard bass ukulele. This is why these instruments are fully acoustic. there are some more little 'secrets' inside...
    Mimmo

Attached Files:

15. Mimmo

Mimmo Aquila Strings

just a few more pictures...
    Mimmo

Attached Files:

16. Temcat

Temcat

BTW Mimmo, if I visit Italy (which may or may not happen but is entirely possible), can I drop in at your shop and play the basses?
  17. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

18. Mimmo

Mimmo Aquila Strings

Sure Temcat,
    we are 60Km far from Venice.
    Please let me know you p0lan in advance because i am often out aquila!
    see you soon
    Mimmo
  19. davewave

davewave Old and in the way... Supporting Member

Thanks, bluecab, for sharing this detailed and useful information on page 50 of Megathread 6.

The U-Bass string universe is suddenly very exciting, with Aquila Reds ready for market and Labella tapewounds in development.

I've used Pyramids on my acoustic since they became available from Kala, and on my import S-U-B since May. (See post #396 in Megathread 6)
    For my playing style and to my ear, I also prefer them to the factory strings and Aquilas currently available.

I've considered trying to order a custom tapewound set from Pyramid, as you did.
    49 euro = 67 dollars US, a reasonable price, I think, even adding shipping from Europe.

I've never had a tapewound string wear out or go dead on a long scale bass.
    It seems to me the nylon wrap would wear longer than the silvered copper wound strings, which I have worn out on fretted U-basses.
  20. CostyoUbass

CostyoUbass

Kala S.U.B. in action!

[​IMG]
  21. Gorn Captain

Sub w/ pyramids