1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Kaplans...love them or hate them?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by burns_isaac, Dec 9, 2013.

1. burns_isaac

burns_isaac

Thoughts on the Kaplans
  2. dkimbrobass

dkimbrobass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Acoustic Amplification
    Super love for arco. So easy to start...so easy to coax different dynamics and timbres out of them with the bow. Really dark and thuddy for pizz, which isn't really a bad thing. Not enough sustain though for any gig that doesn't beg for a short decay...pretty cool for walking lines, bluegrass and trad. country, but they'll have to come off soon and the spiros will have some rosin worked between the windings again. I'll put the Kaps back on when the bow gigs are heavy. These and the Zyex are the best offerings from D'addario IMO.
  3. eerbrev

eerbrev

If you love really dark strings, you'll like these. I don't, so I don't.
  4. Russell Bergum

Russell Bergum Supporting Member

LOVE them!
    They are not very dark on my bass, and in the upper register they are very clear and singing. I would call them warm, and easy to bow - fast starters on the bow and fun to play.
    Awesome for arco.
    Work great on my bass (previously used Bel Canto's, EP's, Obligatto's, Genssler Rabbath).
  5. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario, Subdecay, Tonefactor
    A client came in with them on. Sounded fantastic. Checked out his bass on a meal break and really dug the feel. Might try them out on my Pollmann soon.

J
  6. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Interesting. I just put a set on last week. The arco sound is rich, dark and complex - perfect for orchestral work.
    The pizzicatos are thuddy and lifeless. It's unfortunate as the arco sounds great. Not as loud as my Flat-Chromesteels but a great ensemble arco string.

The bow easily and are easy on the left hand thought the entire range.
  7. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

All the Pollmanns I've played tended to be a bit nasal sounding (lots of volume and projection of course) so the darker Kaplans should be a great complement it well.
  8. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

I love the Kaplan D and G on my bass, both for arco and jazz pizz. For me, on my bass, the A and E were both less loud, arco and pizz, and had a dead pizz sound, with either the Medium or Heavy gauges on the A or E.

It is almost for me as if the A and E pair and D and G pair of completely different string sets, on my bass.

Kaplans seem like great strings; as ever, it is all about the bass/bow combo. I don't know of any solution but trial and adjustment...

I've been playing for awhile with a really nice blend that works well on my bass; "medium" Kaplan D and G with Belcanto A and E. This set mixes well for feel and volume and has great elements of both sets, for me, on my instrument, for either arco or pizz playing.

For me, the jazz pizz sound and sustain of the Kaplan D and G are good and match well with the Belcanto pizz. Not as long a sustain as Spiro, but still respectable, good, and full.