KappaLF in full range cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nickrs540, Dec 21, 2012.

1. nickrs540

nickrs540

I got some Kappa 3015LFs that I intend on putting in a fEARful 1515/66/1 once I get the 6" speakers.

So in the mean time I have a Kustom 2x15 cab with speakers that are pretty lame. They sound great, but they have such little power handling it's barely usable for what I do.

So my question is can I replace those speakers with the Kappas for now. I know I physically can, but will there be any problems such as a full range signal going into it. Will I be missing a ton of tone in the 1.5 to 4khz range?

Another note is that the cab has a tweeter if that makes a difference.

Thanks guys, I really hope this can work. I need a good cab to last me till I have money for the 6s.

2. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

problem with the 3015LF if you look at the freq response graph is that it drops like a rock above 2KHz. It was designed to be a subwoofer and used w/other drivers to take care of the mids/highs.

Can you use one in the cab, then put in an old guitar 10 or 12" driver with a crossover in the meantime? It'd have to have it's own chamber but since you'd have to make an adapter ring anyway.........

Edit: or just use one of the Kustom 15s crossed over if your budget is really tight. Would likely still have to make something of a separate chamber, though.

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If you want dub sound with no top, or have a guitar combo to cover the top, could work. Lot of fiddling about though.

4. nickrs540

nickrs540

I'm curious to try it either way, but my concern is more about is there a possibility of damage sending a strong full range signal into a speaker with a roll off like that. Will anything be hurt? If it doesn't sound good then I learned, but I just don't want to blow these things in an experiment.

I'm still a bit new in the speaker world so bear with me. :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    It won't hurt them, no, just won't sound all that great. Your tweeter most likely is an HPF only so won't hurt to install them and have a listen.

7. nickrs540

nickrs540

Sweet, Thanks will33. That's exactly what I was looking for.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Your amp may be more at risk than the woofers, and the tweeter might be too if you crank treble too hard to try to make up for the somewhat dull tone. As long as you don't push the woofer to do something it can't you'll be fine.

I had my 3015LF in a TL606 box and while I did use a 6/1 top box usually, the guy I sold it to used it standalone very happily for a few years. He also bought my other 606, which had an EVM15B in it, which didn't really make a huge amount more high end itself.

Most likely your cab's ports will be undersized for getting the full potential out of the KL. This means you'll likely hear farting well before overexcursion damage is imminent.

9. nickrs540

nickrs540

Thanks for the info. I actually measured the cab and it really isn't too far off of the size and port measurements of the fEARful 1515/66.