Kappalite 3015 vs Kappa-15LFA

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by georgestrings, Dec 18, 2013.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

On paper, these drivers are really, really close to one another - other than the neo is 12lbs lighter... Am I missing something here???

- georgestrings

2. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Media:
    Doesn't the LF indicate it is more of a sub vs full range?

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Peak displacement on the 3015 505cc with higher "top end" (4KHz), will perform in smaller enclosures (1.8 cu ft). 15LFA, 471cc, 2.7 KHz and 2.2 cu ft. Just a few noteable differences.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Well, Eminence says it's "recommended for pro audio in a vented bass or mid-bass enclosure. Also suited for bass guitar."

- georgestrings

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

OK, but in a typical tl606 enclosure, are the specs really that much different from one another??? I ask because I have actually used one of these drivers in my RR115, and a pair of them in a Peavey 215D-BW, and with excellent results: they gave *me* plenty of highs, TONS of low end, and certainly moved alot of air... If you look at the curves Eminence published, they're very close to one another, as are the specs:

Recommended Enclusure Volume is 1.8-5.1 cu.ft. vs 2.20-6.80cu.ft.

Usable Freq Range is 40-4k vs 38-2.7k

Xmax is 5.9mm vs 5.5mm

Power Rating is 450 watts vs 600 watts

Anyways, I decided I could live with the 12lb difference, and save $100 - and as I said, I know from experience that it will sound good for my purposes... I was just looking for some other opinions on the matter...

- georgestrings

7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Possibly need to look at different paper. Like the bit with frequency response chart, sensitivity and suitable applications.

8. B-string

What matters is if you like what they do for you personally. TL606 is 3.2 cu ft so no real trouble there. If you want to hear the difference you would need both side by side, not just reading specs. Who knows you may still prefer the 15LFA?

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

The Freq Response charts are very similar, sensitivity is 100.8 vs 99 - which won't matter much to me, because I'll have plenty of watts available to throw at it - and I've already quoted the suitable applications for the Kappa-15LFA...

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just wondering if this driver has been overlooked due to the interest in neo loaded drivers... Truthfully, a 12lb difference doesn't matter much to me - and if I'm not absolutely thrilled with it, I'll stick it in a practice cab, and buy a 3015 for my RR115 - we'll see...

I'll put up links, in case anyone wants to take a look...

- georgestrings

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Your last sentence is what I'm wondering - I know I like the 15-LFA, because I've used one before, and despite the specs, it gave me more than enough high end for my intended use...

- georgestrings

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

12. B-string

13. rogypop

rogypop

I have one mounted in 80 liter cab and crossed to 6.5'' mid.
    Its serious driver, one of the best non neo 15's I have ever had
    but has to be crossed to the mid driver if you want some snarl or zing, IMHO of course.

14. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    Out of curiosity George, how did the 15LFA sound in comparison to the BWs in your Peavey cab?

Also, have you tried any other speakers in that cab?

15. bobcruz

bobcruz

I had a Kappa 15 in an older Avatar cabinet, no mid or tweet, and it was surprising how much treble (string squeak) that driver put out. It had some smooth deep bass, of course, and really wasn't bad as a standalone cab. Got rid of it due to the weight.

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

The LFA wasn't quite as bright as the BW, but bright enough - and wasn't quite as mid-present as the BW - which I preferred - and it had alot more low end and volume capability, and could be pushed much harder than the BW...

I have the OEM EV, but it was already on it's way out by the time I got it... It sounded pretty good, but just couldn't handle what I needed it to - partly from it's condition, but not totally... I like alot of low end in my sound - my other cabs are a PH215 and a PH810...

The RR115 is meant to be a smaller option for me, but I still want it to produce a decent amount of volume and low end - but am not concerned with it producing modern tones, as I'd just use the other cabs for that... It's main purpose is for smaller gigs with my country band, and some blues gigs now and then... When I 1st tried a -15LFA in it, it was because I had a couple on hand from some PA gear - and I was pleasantly surprised with the results...

- georgestrings

17. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
  18. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Thanks for weighing in, Duke...

- georgestrings

19. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

Both seem quite workable for bass guitar. The Kappalite would work better for me as a standalone driver cab, because its HF peak is more manageable. The LFA has a relatively massive HF peak (+7db, 1.2-2.5kHz) that would be difficult (with most EQ circuits) to deal with. I can believe that it would have plenty of 'zing', at least on-axis.

For a 15/6 cab the LFA looks very good, provided that the crossover is in the mid hundreds (400-600Hz) - 450Hz provides about 2 octaves of attenuation before maximum peaking (around 1.8kHz). The LFA will also provide a little more extended (deeper) bass (higher Qts, lower Fs), at the cost of a few db of sensitivity.

Both are fine drivers.